Does margarita mix go bad? (+3 Ways to tell)
In this article, we will answer the question “Does margarita mix go bad?”, and how to tell If the margarita mix is bad?
Does margarita mix go bad?
Yes, eventually margarita mix can expire. It generally retains its quality for twelve to eighteen months if it is unopened as stored at room temperature. If you observe off odor or changes in texture or smell, then discard the margarita mix.
Margarita mix is quite shelf-stable due to the added sugar and preservatives and won’t go bad unless you help it. Though it is rare, the presence of mold, discoloration, off-smell, and taste are all the factors to account for in a bad margarita mix.
What usually happens is that margarita mix sits out for too long and loses its flavor and aroma. In this case, it is your call to whether throw the mix due to quality reasons or try to revive it.
The shelf-life of Margarita mix
The degradation process in an un-opened bottle of margarita mix is quite slow. Once the bottle is opened, the quality will deteriorate quickly. This is true for both store-bought and homemade mix. The following table shows an estimated shelf-life of margarita mix under different storage conditions.
|In the pantry
|In the fridge
|Margarita mix (unopened)
|1 year past the Best-by date
|Margarita mix (opened)
How to store margarita mix?
Freezing store-bought margarita ix is not a good option as It will have no significant effect on the shelf-life. However, homemade margarita mix freezes quite well.
Non-alcoholic margarita mix
- Non-alcoholic margarita mix should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place away from sunlight or stovetop. The pantry or kitchen cabinet works fine. Make sure the temperature of the storage area is consistent. Temperature fluctuation will spoil the mix.
- An opened bottle of non-alcoholic margarita mix can be kept in the pantry but it will deteriorate quickly. Therefore your best bet is refrigeration.
Alcoholic margarita mix
- When it comes to Alcoholic margarita mixes, the same storage guidelines can be followed. Keep the unopened bottle in the pantry, opened the bottle in the fridge, or extending shelf life, and make sure the bottle has a tight seal after opening.
- If the cap of the original bottle is damaged, transfer the content to an air-tight container or bottle. Alternatively, you can make a makeshift seal by covering the mouth of the bottle with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and securing it with rubber bands.
How to tell If the margarita mix is bad?
Margarita mix doesn’t usually go bad as it becoming unsafe for consumption. However, if any of the following signs appear, it is better to discard the margarita.
- If the margarita mix gives off a sour odor, it has gone bad.
- If the margarita develops discoloration or unwanted particles, discard it.
- If the margarita mix has a flat taste, feel free to discard it for quality reasons. It can be used by reviving it with a splash of lemon or lime juice. But the quality won’t be the same.
How to make margarita mix at home?
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lime juice (10 limes)
- In a bowl or cup, squeeze fresh lime juice.
- In a saucepan, heat the water with sugar on low-medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Let the sugar syrup cool down for 10 minutes.
- Finally, mix the sugar syrup with fresh lime juice.
- Pour the mixture into a sterilized bottle.
- Store and refrigerate the margarita mix for up to 2 weeks.
Other FAQs about Margarita which you may be interested in.
5 Ways to use margarita mix
To make the batter for margarita cupcakes, mix a margarita with lemon-lime soda and some tequila. Top with whipped cream and a cherry.
Margarita chicken quesadillas
When the chicken is simmered in freshly squeezed lemon juice, margarita mix, and garlic, the resulting sweet and tangy flavors are irresistible. Fill this chicken in quesadillas for a hearty dinner.
Margarita beef skewers
Adding margarita mix to the marinade for beef skewers adds a lemony and tangy flavor profile to the tender meat. This is a very creative way to introduce change to the traditional grilling marinades.
Frozen mint julep margarita
Combine two of your favorite cocktails to make a customized refreshing drink. Give it a quick stir in the blender. This will make the texture of the frozen cocktail a bit slushy. Top off with a few fresh mint leaves.
Strawberry margarita pizza
This dessert pizza is all you need If you have a sweet tooth and love strawberries. A cookie dough crust is filled with a generous cream cheese filling which is topped off with margarita mix-infused strawberry glaze.
In this article, we answered the question “Does margarita mix go bad?”, and how to tell If the margarita mix is bad?