In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “Does cumin have any health benefits?” We will also discuss the health benefits of cumin as well as its risk factors and how it can be used for weight loss.
Does cumin have any health benefits?
Yes, cumin has many health benefits – both nutritional as well as medicinal. We all are well aware of the importance and uses of cumin as a spice but what most people may not be aware of is its health benefits.
In fact, cumin seeds have been used as remedies in Ayurveda since ancient times throughout the world.
What are the health benefits of cumin?
Cumin, which is also known as the king of spices, has many health benefits as well. Some of the health benefits of cumin are as follows:
- Cumin contains naturally occurring substances that act as antioxidants and help to keep your skin looking healthy and more energetic.
- Cumin is known to be a great home remedy for treating different digestive problems like diarrhea and indigestion. It also helps to promote digestion.
- Cumin is a great source of iron so it can help children and young women who have iron deficiency even when taken in small amounts.
- Many studies have shown that cumin may help to control blood sugar and diabetes and lower cholesterol levels as well.
- The active ingredients in cumin seeds have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which help fight bacteria and parasites.
- Many people use cumin seeds for weight loss and fat reduction.
- Cumin’s anti-microbial properties may reduce the risk of food-borne infections.
- Cumin is one of the most powerful anti carcinogenic plants.
What are the nutrient contents of cumin?
Cumin is also a good source of different minerals. According to the United States Department of Agriculture’s FoodData Central Database, one teaspoon of whole cumin seeds contains:
- 7.88 calories
- 0.37 g protein
- 0.47 g fat
- 0.93 g carbohydrate
- 19.6 mg calcium
- 1.39 mg iron
- 7.69 mg magnesium
Are there any side effects or risk factors of cumin?
Even in higher dosages, cumin is generally considered to be very safe and non-toxic but it does have some risk factors. If you do decide to use it, you should be aware of some potential negative effects. As a herbal supplement, cumin is often taken daily in doses ranging from 300 to 600 mg.
- Various researchers have found evidence that cumin suppresses testosterone levels in males. This means that consuming cumin could make them less fertile.
- Likewise, cumin is traditionally known to be used to trigger miscarriage in some cultures. So, pregnant women should avoid cumin to be safe.
How can you use cumin for healthy weight loss?
Cumin, which is also known as jeera water, is very popular for weight loss. You can make this drink by adding two teaspoons of jeera to 1.6 quarts of boiling water. Let it sit for about 10 -15 minutes so that it can absorb all the healthy extracts of cumin seeds. Strain the seeds out before you take the drink. You can have it regularly for effective results.
You can purchase cumin supplements easily in your local area. These supplements contain cumin extracts and oil that will help you in your weight loss journey.
Cumin in your diet
Cumin powder or the seeds themselves are some of the most commonly used spices in the world. You can simply add cumin to your diet in the form of powder or seeds. You may season your veggies and soups or use the spices for marinades and dressings.
For some healthy cumin recipes, please click the link here.
What kind of spice is cumin?
Cumin is a spice that is made from the dried seed of a plant known as Cuminum cyminum. Cumin is one of the most popular spices used all over the globe. It is one of the staple spices found in everyone’s kitchen cupboard. It can be available in both whole seeds as well as ground forms in the market.
Different varieties of cumin can be found but the most commonly used is brown cumin. Cumin has a warm and earthy flavor and aroma with a hint of bitterness. So make sure to use just the right amount of cumin so your dish doesn’t turn out to be bitter.
Other FAQs about Spices that you may be interested in.
What does coriander powder smell like?
What is garam masala called in English?
Is coriander seed good for you?
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “Does cumin have any health benefits?” We have also discussed the health benefits of cumin as well as its risk factors and how it can be used for weight loss.