Does corn make you poop?
In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “does corn make you poop” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not corn makes you poop and the reason behind it. Moreover, we are going to discuss different foods that make you poop and the reason why certain foods come out in poop undigested.
The brilliant yellow kernels found in corn can appear, apparently undigested, in the restroom hours after we have consumed it. Your mind must be swarming with many questions like “How does corn endure the high pH or the churning movements of our stomach?” “Should I even consume corn if it is so hard to digest?” “Is it fiber-rich?” “Would it help me poop?” But you need not worry as we are here to answer all your queries.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Does corn make you poop?
Although corn is not a laxative or a stimulant, it can sometimes make you poop. The reason behind this is that corn contains good amounts of dietary fibers. Corn is one of those foods that owing to its certain characteristics come out of the body undigested.
When consumed, it adds to the bulk of the feces which can sometimes build the urge to pass stool. Moreover, the cellulose present in it cleans your colon of the waste material and thereby plays an important role when it comes to relieving constipation.
What is cellulose and why it can’t be digested by humans?
So corn has that bright yellow, shiny outer covering that protects it from the harsh weather conditions and also plays a role in the protection of corn from pests. So how does this shiny, waxy, golden layer do all of this? The answer is pretty simple. It is due to the presence of cellulose in that yellow layer.
Now, this layer is important for the corn but when it comes to humans it is the one that comes out of the human body undigested. The reason behind this phenomenon is that to break down the cellulose an enzyme cellulase is necessary but humans lack this enzyme which results in corn coming out undigested in the stool.
The corn contains about 10% of the cellulose while the rest of the 90% has various important micro and macronutrients like starch, dietary fiber, and carotenoids present in it. So you should make this healthy and nutritious food a part of your daily dietary regime.
What causes undigested food in poop?
The foods that are present undigested in the poop mainly are the ones that have a high dietary fiber content. The body has the mechanism to break down various components of food into simpler ones but when it comes to dietary fiber it gets out of the digestive system without getting broken down. This property of dietary fiber plays an important role when it comes to adding bulk to the stool that ultimately helps in relieving constipation in individuals.
Some of the foods that come undigested in the stool are corns, beans, peas, vegetable skins, fruit peels, etc. all of which play an important role when it comes to adding bulk to stool and ultimately helping in making you poop.
The reason for the corn to come out in your stool undigested also lies in the fact that it contains cellulose in its outermost covering and it is the outermost covering of the corn that comes out of the body undigested in the stool and also helps in relieving constipation.
Does protein make you poop?
When it comes to protein if you consume it in excessive amounts especially the protein from animal sources like chicken beef, turkey, etc. it can cause constipation.
Does dark chocolate make you poop?
Dark chocolate is rich in magnesium which plays an important role as an osmotic laxative in the body. It softens the stool and adds bulk to it. Moreover dark chocolate also has a considerably high amount of cocoa present in it which can make you poop.
What are the foods that make you poop?
Apples, blueberries, raspberries, apricots, chia seeds, grapes, lemon juice, yogurt, cabbage, corn, grapefruit, prunes, and hot beverages are among some of the important foods that make you poop.
How much fiber do I need to poop properly?
Men under 51 years of age should consume 38 grams of dietary fiber while women under 51 should consume 25 grams of dietary fiber on a daily basis. Men older than 51 should consume 30 grams while women older than 51 should consume 21 grams of dietary fiber on a daily basis.
Other FAQs about Corn that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “does corn make you poop” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not corn makes you poop and the reason behind it. Moreover, we discussed different foods that make you poop and the reason why certain foods come out in poop undigested.