In this brief article, we will answer the question does cinnamon increase acid reflux and five home remedies to cope with acidity
Does cinnamon increase acid reflux?
Yes, cinnamon increases the acid reflux in our stomach, causing us to feel heartburn and a sensation of burning. Cinnamon is not the reason for acid reflux, but it aggravates the symptoms.
What is Acid Reflux?
Our stomachs have acid in them that helps in the digestion of food components. Sometimes this acid escapes our stomach and reaches our esophagus or food tube. In the esophagus, the acid burns the wall causing an uncomfortable sensation. This process is called Heartburn or Acid reflux.
Some foods can cause acidity in our stomach, which is another name for Acid reflux. These foods include spices, cold drinks, coffee, and cinnamon.
How Cinnamon Increases Acid Reflux?
Cinnamon is a common spice that people now and in ancient times used. It is a medicinal herb and is a common topping and filling of many foods.
There are two main components in cinnamon: Cassia and Ceylon cinnamon. Cinnamon is not a common trigger of acidity, but these components aggravate acidity symptoms in the stomach.
Foods with Cinnamon:
Cinnamon is in baked goods, cereals, and drinks. It is one of the significant components of chocolates and alcohol in many parts of the world. It is better to recognize if your food has cinnamon to avoid increasing acid reflux.
Remedies to cope with Acid Reflux:
Acidity is a prevalent problem, mostly if you habitually eat spicy foods, drink alcohol, or consume foods with chocolates. Chocolate causes the lower muscle of your esophagus to loosen a little, which may end up causing acid reflux. Alongside avoiding these foods, there are some remedies too. Use These home remedies if you are experiencing acid reflux:
- Use Holy Basil leaves:
Basil leaves have the natural ability to neutralize acid reflux. It is one of the quickest methods in this regard. An everyday household spice that has application in many food dishes as a seasoning. It has an anti-ulcer property that lowers the acid level in the stomach. It also stimulates the stomach to produce mucus and neutralizes the acid in the stomach
Method to use it:
- Chew basil leaves slowly and swallow the juice to get most of it.
- Another way is to enjoy a warm cup of basil water
- You can also add honey in Basil water but never use milk for it
- Use of Cumin Seed:
Cumin seeds are also a common household item that enhances the dish’s flavor and has a characteristic aroma. Cumin seeds are natural carminative and digestive agents that help reduce acid reflux in the stomach. It acts as an aid in relieving flatulence, indigestion, and stomach discomfort.
- One way is to make cumin tea with ½ tablespoons of cumin
- Another method is using a mix of spices to cure acidity. In it, you can use cumin, coriander, and fennel seed powder in water
- Add sugar to the mixture mentioned above if needed
- Use Cold milk:
An effective remedy to cope with acidity is using cold milk. It causes instant relief, but don’t use it with basil leaves. Milk has calcium which neutralizes acid in the body, causing relief from acidity. If you experience acidity after every meal, drinking milk might worsen it, so avoid doing that.
- Milk is consumed alone by many people, but one thing to always remember is drinking cold water
- Don’t add anything, not even sugar or honey
- If you do not like plain milk, you can add saffron or rose water to change the flavor
- Use Carom seeds:
It is one of the most common remedies to treat gas, fluctuation, and stomach cramps. It also cures bloating and stomach pain, so it makes sense if you use it to cure acidity in your stomach. Carom seeds have thymol which naturally helps in neutralizing the acidity of the stomach
- One method is adding ½ or ¼ teaspoon of carom seeds in dried ginger powder. Add black salt in it, too, if available. Drink it with water to get quick results
- Another method is using Carom water, in which Carom leaves boiled in water, and consuming the strained water
- Use Water:
The best way to avoid acidity in drinking excess water in the middle of the meal. If you experience acidity daily, then start drinking lukewarm water on an empty stomach when you wake up
In this brief article, we have answered the question does cinnamon increase acid reflux and explained five home remedies to cope with acidity