In this brief guide, we will discuss the following question, “does bread contain egg?”, the main ingredients used to make bread, and other queries related to this topic.
Does bread contain eggs?
No, bread does not contain eggs, it is made from flour, water, salt, yeast, and sometimes sugar and honey are added for fermentation purposes. However, some bakers add extra ingredients to their bread such as eggs, milk, butter, nuts, and chocolate. Also, some of them add egg wash on the top of their bread to give it a golden color.
Moreover, the flour used to do the bread depends on the desired final result. For example, some bread is made from white, whole wheat, barley, rye, and oats flour, and others are made from gluten-free flour. Furthermore, eggs are essential ingredients in cake preparation, donuts, cupcakes, muffins, and other sweets.
So, make sure to read the food label because most of the time it is mentioned on it if the product contains eggs or not. If you have egg allergy or intolerance and you are wondering if the product contains any egg product do not consume it and search for a product where it is mentioned on the label: “egg-free” product.
What are the main ingredients used in bread making?
Most of the bread you see and buy on the market contains the following ingredients:
- Flour: there are many types of flour such as white flour, rye flour, oat flour, whole wheat flour, and many others. Sometimes, rice flour, tapioca flour, cornmeal, and gluten-free flour are used to make gluten-free bread for people with celiac disease.
- Water: is the most used liquid to knead the dough.
- Yeast: is added for fermentation. Yeast ferments the sugar in the flour into carbon dioxide. This fermentation will increase the size of the dough.
- Sugar: is added mostly to enhance the yeast action in the dough and acts as a food for it. Hence, it is also added to give a sweet taste and a gold color to the bread after baking.
- Salt: it slows the action of the yeast and the fermentation process.
Which breads do not contain eggs?
Many bread types that do not contain eggs such as:
- White bread: is easy to make bread. Done from white flour and has a sweet taste. No oils or eggs are added to it.
- Whole wheat bread: made from whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour is the outcome of grinding the whole grain of wheat without removing the outer skin of the wheat grain.
- Pita bread: is also made from flour, water, and yeast. It is a flatbread coming from the middle eastern and Mediterranean regions.
- Rye bread: made from rye grain flour. However, sometimes rye flour is mixed with wheat flour. So, the mixture of the two types of flour gives a different color to the bread. The more you add the rye flour the darker your bread will be.
- French bread: also known as a baguette. It is long and thin bread, made from wheat flour, and has a very special crust.
- Italian bread: it is similar to french bread or baguette. It is made from flour, water, salt, and yeast. However, nowadays, milk, olive oil, and some sugar are added to it.
- Ciabatta bread: it is an Italian bread made from wheat flour, water, salt, and olive oil.
- Sourdough bread: made from flour, water, and yeast. Hence, the type of yeast used for dough fermentation provides the bread with a sour taste.
- Potato bread: unlike regular bread. Potato bread is made from potato flour.
- Pumpernickel bread: a kind of rye bread, made from a sourdough starter with a mixture of rye and whole rye flour and has a sweet taste.
What kinds of bread do contain eggs?
Mostly, eggs are used to make pastries. However, eggs make the texture of the food more fluffy and rich. Here is a list of bread that contains eggs:
- Challah bread: it is a Jewish bread, mostly eaten on holidays. The recipe calls for many eggs along with flour, water, sugar, yeast, and oil.
- Brioche bread: it is a french bread made from eggs, butter, milk or cream, flour, and sugar.
- Easter egg bread: Originates from Italy, usually made on Easter and it is very similar to challah bread.
- Banana bread: is a sweet and moist bread, made from mashed bananas, eggs, and flour.
- Monkey bread: it is a sweet bread coming from the United States. The dough ingredients are eggs, butter, sugar, flour, and milk and topped with extra butter melted with cinnamon, sugar, and pecans.
Other FAQs about Bread that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we discussed the following question, “does bread contain eggs?”, the main ingredients used to make bread, and other queries related to this topic.