Does beer have water in it?

In this brief guide, we will discuss the following question, “does beer have water in it?”, is beer a good source for hydration, can we survive on beer only, and other queries related to this topic.

Does beer have water in it? 

Yes, beer has water in it. Water consists of 95% of the beer and the remaining 5% is alcohol. Water is one of the main ingredients for beer production. However, hops, barley, wheat, or other aromatic ingredients are added to the water to give a special taste to the final product.

Does beer hydrate you?

No, beer does not hydrate you. Beer contains alcohol which is a diuretic. Diuretics help to get rid of water from the body. So excessive beer intake will lead to dehydration. However, the alcohol content in beer depends on the beer type and alcohol percentage in it. So, the diuretic effect of the beer depends on its alcohol concentration.

Alcohol in general, reduces the vasopressin hormone also known as ADH. When this hormone is suppressed the kidneys can not retain the water to be reabsorbed. So, the urine output increases.

Moreover, if you want to drink a cup or bottle of beer to hydrate yourself choose a beer with a low alcohol percentage it will be better than the regular beer that has a high alcohol concentration. Despite having a little amount of alcohol this beer can cause mild dehydration if compared with the other type.

Is drinking beer like drinking water?

No, drinking beer is not like drinking water or can not substitute it. Beer causes dehydration due to its alcohol content. So, if you drink many beers in one day, that does not mean that you can count them as water. There is no drink or beverages that can substitute water.

Moreover, it is recommended to drink 8 glasses of water in one day as a minimum. In addition, coffee, tea, juices, or alcohol intake are not considered or counted as a part of your daily water intake.

Can I survive on beer alone?

No, you can not survive on beer alone. Beer only contains carbohydrates, alcohol, a few phytonutrients, and a few minerals such as potassium and B vitamins. However, it is not recommended to rely on beer to get those micronutrients, since it is high in empty calories and does not provide you with enough proteins.

Empty calories mean calories coming from food that is low in nutrients and high in calories such as cakes, cookies, desserts, energy drinks, alcohol, chocolates, and many others.


Instead, consume a diversified diet that includes all the food groups such as carbohydrates, proteins, fat, fruits, vegetables, and dairy products, to get all the vitamins and minerals you need for your body function.

Is beer bad for dehydration?

Yes, of course, beer is bad for dehydration, because it can worsen your dehydration due to its alcohol content.

In addition, keep in mind that many other beverages cause dehydration other than the beer such as tea, coffee, carbonated beverages, energy drinks, sugary beverages, wine, and liquor. So, avoid them in case you are dehydrated and drink water instead.

Why is hydration important?

Our body is made of 60% water. Each organ has a different percentage of water, for example,  our brain and heart contain 73 % of water, the skin 64%, and the muscles and the kidneys 79%. The muscles retain a higher percentage of water in your body, which explains why people that have a high lean body mass have a high body water percentage.

So, water is an important component of human survival and has many functions in the body such as:

  • Carries oxygen to be delivered to the cells.
  • Regulates body temperature.
  • Protects the organs like the spinal cord and joints.
  • Helps in removing waste from the body through perspiration, urine, stool, and sweat.
  • Helps in digestion and saliva production.

What happens when you are dehydrated?

Dehydration occurs when you lose a high amount of water without drinking enough to compensate for this loss. You lose water in several ways like vomiting, diarrhea, excessive physical activity, and hot weather.

Moreover, the body’s first sign of dehydration is the thirst feeling. Other dehydration signs are weakness, dizziness, headache, nausea, fever, and low blood pressure, and the most life-threatening symptom is unconsciousness in case of severe dehydration.

Furthermore, to reverse the dehydration, water alone is not enough. So, drink an oral rehydration solution, some clear broth, or sports drinks. However, in severe dehydration, the intravenous fluid should be administered.

Conclusion

In this brief guide, we discussed the following question, “does beer have water in it?”, is beer a good source for hydration, can we survive on beer only, and other queries related to this topic.

References

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.