In the following text we will be answering the question, “does almond milk expire?” We will also discuss how to store the almond milk properly. We will also be discussing the health benefits of almond milk along with the factors responsible for the spoilage of almond milk.
Does almond milk expire?
Yes, almond milk expires, its shelf life is less when it is stored outside the refrigerator, and on the other hand its shelf life increases if you store it in the refrigerator. If you have opened your almond milk then you need to instantly refrigerate it as it will spoil after 7 days.
If your almond milk is not opened it can go upto 3 to 4 weeks without getting spoiled on your counter. The shelf life of the milk depends upon its sterilising techniques.
The almond milk is properly sterilised and heated to kill the bacteria. Especially layered and designed cartons are used to store the almond milk after the sterilisation process.
How is almond milk made?
The proper way to make almond milk is to blend and mix almonds with water. In the second step the solid portion of the mixture is removed and the remaining liquid is known as almond milk. The texture of almond milk is very similar to normal milk and it has a specific nutty taste in it.
Nowadays the use of almond milk has increased a lot and due to this certain flavoured options of almond milk are available in the market. Almond milk has a good taste and avoids taking the options that contain added sugars in it. .
What are the proper ways to store almond milk?
Packaged almond milk has its expiration date and it should not be consumed beyond its expiration date. Following are some proper ways to store almond milk
- You can’t leave an opened can of almond milk as it will catch the microbes and will spoil.
- You should keep your opened almond milk carton or bottle in the refrigerator. If almond milk isn’t refrigerated for too long, bacteria will grow on it, causing it to spoil and perhaps making you sick.
- Unopened shelf-stable cartons should be kept in a temperature-controlled environment. Avoid regions where it may become too hot, as this may cause the milk to spoil before you open it. Check the package for exact temperature suggestions.
- Maintain a tight seal on the carton. This will prevent bacteria from developing by keeping oxygen out.
What are the factors that are responsible for the expiration of almond milk?
According to the FDA, expiry dates are the dates that are based on the manufacturer’s estimate of when a product is at its finest, not on safety. So following are the factors that are responsible for the expiration or spoilage of almond milk.
- The natural fats present in almond milk are prone to get rancid over time. This will make almond milk unable to drink.
- Unpasteurized almond milk can contain food-borne microorganisms which can spoil almond milk.
- Heat and increased temperatures can cause the spoilage of almond milk.
What is the nutritional value of almond milk?
If the almond milk contains a good amount of almonds in it then its nutritional value will be higher. Almonds contain many vitamins and minerals along with healthy fats in them.
|Vitamin E||6.3 mg|
Does drinking almond milk provide any health benefits?
- If you are looking for a reduced-calorie and dairy-free alternative to milk then almond milk should be your choice. A Study was conducted in which participants replaced their milk intake with almond milk and they consumed 1 cup of almond milk for 4 weeks which resulted in a decrease in BMI
- Almond milk is a very suitable option for diabetic people as it does not raise the blood sugar levels quickly and it has a good amount of protein and healthy fats in it.
- Sometimes almond milk is supplemented with calcium to increase its health benefits. Adding calcium to almond milk is very beneficial for your bone and teeth health. Calcium also helps to improve cardiovascular functions. Different brands have different percentages of added calcium in the almond milk.
In the above text we answered the question,” does almond milk expire?” We also discussed how to store the almond milk properly. We also discussed the health benefits of almond milk along with the factors responsible for the spoilage of almond milk.