In this brief guide, we will be answering the following question “does almond flour need to be refrigerated?” We will also discuss the factors which cause the spoilage of almond flour. We will also discuss why it is necessary to store almond flour in the refrigerator. We will also discuss the effects of eating almond flour on health.
Does almond flour need to be refrigerated?
To avoid the spoilage of almond flour it should be placed in a cool area, tightly packed away from moisture. In general, an unopened almond flour bag will last 2-4 months in the pantry and 6-12 months in the refrigerator.
Like all other flours, almond flour can go bad if it comes in contact with water or bugs. The moisture content in the flour will make it clumpy and can even cause mould to grow. So to store your homemade almond flour you must keep it in the refrigerator.
How is almond flour made?
The process of making almond flour starts with blanching the almonds. Blanching is a procedure that includes the boiling of almonds in water to soften and remove their brown skin then the peeled almonds are grounded into fine powder.
Almond flour due to its high nutritional value is a good and healthy option to add to your baking. Due to the removal of skin, the almond powder or flour does not give any flavour of almond as a result it can be easily substituted in any meal.
The consistency of the almond flour is smooth and fine while it has a milder flavour. The finely ground powder of almonds is suitable to use and it can be easily substituted in the place of any other flour.
What is the nutritional value of almond flour?
Almond flour mainly contains grounded almonds, almonds have many nutrients in it following are the nutrients present in the 100 g of almonds
|Vitamin E||25.6 mg|
What are the health benefits of eating almond flour?
- Almond flour is a major source of vitamin E which is a fat-soluble vitamin. One of the many health benefits of vitamin E includes its antioxidant property. Antioxidants kill the free radicals present in the cells and by doing this they prevent the risk of cancer and several other chronic diseases.
- Several studies prove that taking vitamin E can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and heart diseases.
- Magnesium is an important mineral present in almonds and naturally in the almond flour. 100 g of almond flour contains 268 mg of magnesium in it. Eating magnesium-rich foods provide several health benefits including improving heart health and improving blood glucose levels of the body.
- Almond flour is a rich source of healthy fats and fibres and it has low carbohydrate content. It is beneficial for diabetic people to eat almond flour as it has a low glycemic index which means it doesn’t raise your blood sugar levels quickly.
- Almond flour is a rich source of magnesium, which is a mineral that is very beneficial for your body, as it helps in the management of blood sugar levels..
- For People who are suffering from celiac disease and are on a gluten-free diet, this flour is a good substitute for wheat flour.
What are the factors that cause the spoilage of almond flour?
The texture, taste and shelf life of almond flour are affected by the following factors.
What is the proper way to store almond flour?
- Heat and moisture will damage your almond flour and allow moulds to develop, so avoid them. Unless you reside in a tropical region or a place where hot days can be brutal, your kitchen pantry or cabinet will suffice. If you’re unsure, staying in the kitchen might help you relax.
- You can also store it with other dry goods in one large sealed container for added protection. If you have a family member who is allergic to almonds or tree nuts, be cautious. Ensure that the flour does not spill and contaminate the rest of the dry ingredients.
In this brief guide, we answered the following question: “Does almond flour need to be refrigerated?” We also discussed the factors which cause the spoilage of almond flour. We also discussed why it is necessary to store almond flour in the refrigerator. We also discussed the effects of eating almond flour on health.