In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “do you have to use wood chips in an electric smoker” with an in-depth analysis of the effects of using wood chips in an electric smoker.
Moreover, we are going to highlight what amount of wood chips can be required in an electric smoker, what is the purpose behind using wood chips in an electric smoker, what is an electric smoker and how does it work.
Do you have to use wood chips in an electric smoker?
Yes, you have to use wood chips in an electric smoker to give certain flavors to the food or meat you are going to cook. The electric smokers do not need wood as a source of fuel as they are supplied with an electric source to produce heat for cooking foods placed in them.
Amount of wood chips required in an electric smoker:
The amount required in an electric smoker is very limited as it does not need wood for producing heat. You can choose the amount as per your requirements as 4 cups of wood chips can last for about 3-5 hours and 6-8 cups can easily go for foods that require smoking for about 6 hours.
The amount also depends upon the design of the smoker as many electric smokers have trays at the bottom while others do not have. For such smokers, the wood chips can be placed in the tins and the tins then can be placed under the food tray to produce smoke and in this case, the wood chips will burn faster due to the greater air exposure. Further, you can also soak wood chips to delay their burning.
Purpose of using wood chips in an electric smoker:
The most important reason behind adding wood chips in an electric smoker is to fuse your foods with a unique burnt and smokey flavor that is appealing and liked by the people. Another important purpose is to change the taste of food from its original taste.
For this reason, wood chips from different types of wood can be used in the electric smokers, among which some common types are mesquite, applewood, hickory, oak, peach, pecan, cherry, and alder, etc.
An electric smoker works on the principle of cooking food through the heat produced by electric powder. These appliances usually operate at higher temperatures as compared to other smokers and use a cup of water and wood chips at the bottom to produce smoke. The smoke produced is used to add flavors to the food.
The electric smoker is not as cheap as a traditional smoker as they are more efficient in providing power, control, and versatility. Moreover, they are easier to use.
How to use electric smokers:
Electric smokers can be used through three different methods.
This method is used in electric smokers that are designed with a wood chip tray inside them. to prepare the smoker, ensure that it is clean and ready to use.
- Turn on the electric power and set the temperature to about 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the smoker heat up for about 30 to 45 minutes and the temperature should be measured and regulated through observing the internal thermometer of your smoker.
- For maintaining the moisture content of the foods, place the water in a water tray. To impart the taste of certain herbs or spices to the food, they can be added to the water.
- Fill up the wooden tray with some dry wood chips and place it again at the bottom of the smoker. The number of wood chips required will vary depending upon the cooking time, temperature, type of wood, and type of food.
- Place the food on the cooking rack and monitor the smoke output through the opening in a smoker, carefully. Also, check the trays and chips throughout the cooking period.
Foil pouch method:
This method is typically used for smokers that are not designed with a wood chips tray inside them. Clean the grill and inside of the smoker and turn on the heat.
- Fill the water tray with water. Take a piece of aluminum foil and lay it on the counter.
- Place the chunks or chips of wood on this foil and fold the foil. In this way, you will obtain the rolls of aluminum foil with wood chips inside them.
- Make holes on the top of these rolls or pouches to allow the escape of smoke from them. Place them above the heating element of the smoker that will slowly heat the pouches as a result of which the smoke is produced from them.
Smoker box method:
- Take a smoker box which can either be a tin can or a stainless-steel pan with a lid on the top.
- Turn on the electric power to heat the electric smoker.
- Make holes on the walls of the tin can or lids of the stainless-steel pan to allow the escape of smoke from them.
- Place the wood chips in the tin cans and place the tin cans on the heating element to produce smoke.
- Once the electric smoker is heated, place the foods in your tray and allow them to cook.
You can use the electric smokers efficiently by reading some tips here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “do you have to use wood chips in an electric smoker” with an in-depth analysis of the potential effects of using wood chips in an electric smoker.
Moreover, we discussed what amount of wood chips can be required in an electric smoker, what is the purpose behind using wood chips in an electric smoker, what is an electric smoker and how does it work.