In this brief article, we will answer the question, “Do you have to use almond milk for overnight oats?” and methods to prepare overnight oats.
Do you have to use almond milk for overnight oats?
No, it is not necessary to use almond milk for overnight oats. You can use different types of milk, water, or yogurt. You can use almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk for preparing overnight oats.
You can also skim milk or reduced-fat milk for preparing the oats.
It is important to remember that overnight oats should be kept in the fridge. Avoid keeping them outside especially when the weather is too hot as the oats can end up being fermented or sour.
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are prepared by not cooking the oats. The oats are instead soaked in water or raw milk overnight. This helps the oats to soften and be better to consume. The oats are chilled overnight in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours or overnight.
The texture of the oats is similar to pudding or porridge and it is easy to prepare. It is creamier than oats that are warmed. You can also choose to warm the oats after keeping them overnight if you hate consuming chilled oats.
How to make overnight oats using almond milk?
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup almond milk (non-sweetened)
- 1-2 tbsp nectar
- ½ cup yogurt
- In a container, mix the rolled oats, almond milk, and yogurt.
- Add any sweetener that you desire. Here nectar is used as a sweetener. You can also add any flavorings or extracts like vanilla extract if required.
- Place a lid on the container and tightly seal it. Place the container in the fridge overnight. If you do not have much time, you can take out the oats after an hour and consume them but it is recommended to keep the oats in the fridge overnight.
- Take out the oats in the morning. Stir the oats well and add any toppings if you want. You do not need to heat the oats to consume them, instead, consume them chilled.
What are other methods to prepare overnight oats without using milk?
You can substitute plant-based milk for water though the oats might taste a bit blander and less creamy.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp jaggery powder
- ½ cup water
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup chopped fruits (mango, apple, banana, or berries)
- 2-3 tbsp chopped nuts almonds, walnuts, cashews, or pistachios)
- In a bowl, take rolled oats. Add jaggery powder to it.
- Add ½ cup of water. Mix well. For quick-cooking oats, you might require to add ⅓ cup of water.
- Add chia seeds to the mixture. Cover the mixture properly with a lid and refrigerate.
- The next morning, open the lid and stir the oats. The chia seed tends to absorb more water. If you feel you need to add more water, go ahead and do so.
Similarly, if you have added yogurt to the overnight oats, you might need to increase the amount of water being added.
- Add the bananas, cherries, or apples as toppings along with nuts like almonds, pistachios, or cashews. Individuals who are diabetics can avoid adding sweeteners.
If you are planning to use fruits as toppings, avoid adding citrus fruits or melons to the milk.
To help increase the shelf-life and taste of the oats, You can add jam, peanut butter, chocolates, or fruit preserve.
Other FAQs about almond milk that you may be interested in.
What type of oats should be used for preparing overnight oats?
Always use rolled oats or quick-cooking oats for preparing overnight oats. Avoid using steel cut oats as it requires more time to cook.
What are some toppings that you could add to the overnight oats?
You can use banana along with Nutella, peanut butter along with strawberries, chopped mangoes along with desiccated coconut, lemon juice with vanilla extract, chocolate, or walnuts as toppings.
What is the shelf-life of overnight oats?
If you store the oats in a sealed container or an airtight container inside the fridge, it would last for at least 5 days. If you plan to store it for a long time, use creamier milk. The more you keep, the more creamier it becomes.
Are overnight oats healthy?
Yes, overnight oats are healthy. It is a good source of fiber, protein, and B-vitamins. Oats are also good for diabetics and individuals suffering from blood pressure. As for toppings, you can add fruits to provide you with extra fiber and sweetness!
Oats also help improve your metabolism and are a good source of iron and zinc. If you add milk, you can also obtain calcium.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “Do you have to use almond milk for overnight oats?” and methods to prepare overnight oats.