In this brief guide we will answer the following question, “do you have to peel an egg[plant?” We will discuss the different ways to eat eggplant. We will also discuss the nutritional value and health benefits of eating eggplant.
Do you have to peel eggplant?
No, you do not have to peel eggplant. You can eat them easily without peeling. The other part of eggplant is usually edible and you do not need to peel it away. Eggplant skin contains antioxidants and fibres that should not be thrown away.
What is the nutritional value of the eggplant?
Eggplant is a non-starchy vegetable that contains zero fats, a very low amount of calories, and it is an average source of vitamins and minerals.
Eggplants have a low nutritional value but when it is cooked it absorbs the flavours very well that is why it is used in cooking. Following nutrients are present in the 100 g of eggplant.
|Pantothenic acid||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.08 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.2 mg|
What are the different types of eggplant?
Eggplant is cultivated all over the world. It was first named Bāḏinjān in Arabic and then all its other names of it were derived from this name. We have 3 different names for eggplant depending on the region.
- Aubergine is common in British, German, and dutch languages.
- Brinjal is usually spoken in south Asian countries.
- The Linnaean name of eggplant is Solanum melongena.
There are several types of eggplant depending upon the regions where they are cultivated.
- The green eggplant is green in colour and small in size. It has a mild flavour and a creamy texture.
- Indian eggplant is common in India and Pakistan and it is similar to the Italian eggplant but it is a little sweeter. It has a dark purple colour.
- Japanese eggplant has a dark purple colour and it is thin and long shaped. Due to their long shape, they take less time in cooking and they are usually used in stir-frying.
- Thai eggplant has the most different shape, they are tiny green in shape and they look like small watermelons. These eggplants are bitter due to their seeds and seeds are removed from them before cooking.
- White eggplants are white in shape as the name indicates. All of the eggplants were white before but later the purple eggplants were introduced because they easily survived in harsh environments and they had less insect infestation.
- Chinese eggplant is similar to Japanese eggplant. They have light purple colour and they are less bitter. Due to their long cylindrical shape, they are good to use in sauteed vegetables and stir-frying.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, China is the largest producer of eggplants in the whole world.
What are the different ways to eat eggplant?
Eggplants are eaten in many ways all over the world. This vegetable is famous due to its unique flavour-absorbing properties.
- You can add eggplant to your stir-fried vegetables that are served with the main course.
- Stir Fried eggplant is added to the noodles and pasta.
- You can make grilled eggplant pieces with your barbecue.
- You can add eggplant to your lasagna layers. It will taste good and this way you can take your healthy vegetables with the protein.
- You can make eggplant paste from boiled or grilled softened eggplant and then you can enjoy it with yoghurt.
What are the health benefits of eggplants?
Eggplants have the following health benefits:
- Eggplants are rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants help in the removal of free radicals from the body. Antioxidants prevent cellular damage from the free radicals and this cellular damage leads to cancer. Free radicals also cause chronic metabolic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular diseases.
- Anthocyanin is an antioxidant present in the outer skin of the eggplant that gives the eggplant a bright purple colour. Research has proved that this compound is helpful in destroying free radicals and protecting the cells.
- Eggplants are a good source of fibres and these fibres help to maintain your blood glucose levels. These fibres slow down the rate of glucose absorption in the human body.
- Eggplants are a good source of potassium and potassium helps in maintaining the normal fluid levels in our body. Potassium also helps to maintain normal muscle contraction and it helps in keeping the blood pressure normal.
In this brief guide we answered the following question, “Do you have to peel an egg[plant?” We discussed the different ways to eat eggplant. We also discussed the nutritional value and health benefits of eating eggplant.