In this brief guide we will answer the following question, “do you have to peel beets?” we will discuss the different ways to eat beets. We will also discuss the nutritional value and health benefits of eating beets.
Do you have to peel beets?
Yes, you must have to peel beets. The peel of beet is very hard, and bitter. It doesn’t add a good flavour or texture to your meal. The Peel of the beetroot is usually removed when you eat raw beet or you add beetroot to any of your meals.
The skin of beetroot is edible. If you like its flavour you can eat it. It will provide healthy nutrients.
What is the nutritional value of beetroots?
Beetroots contain several vitamins and minerals which are helpful for our health. Following nutrients are present in the beetroots.
|Vitamin C||4.9 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.06 mg|
Does peeling beetroot affect the nutritional value of the beetroot?
The skin of beetroot also contains many nutrients. Beetroot is a good source of vitamin C, folate, fibres, and other nutrients. These nutrients will go to waste when you remove the skin of beetroot.
What are the ways to eat beetroot?
You can eat beets in several ways.
- You can add beets to your salads. Like you can make a healthy beetroot, chicken, and cabbage salad for your lunch. This will be a low-calorie and healthy lunch meal.
- You can also add beetroot to your smoothies in the morning and this will give you a good head start for your mornings. Beetroot is full of fibres and taking it in the morning will keep you full for the whole day.
- You can also make juice out of beetroots and this juice will be easier to eat. You can eat it with your meals or as a snack.
- You can boil or steam beetroot and make pancakes by mixing mashed beetroot with the pancake mix. You can also bake beetroot and it will be perfect to eat.
What are the health benefits of beets?
Mostly red beets are commonly used and are full of nutrients.
- Beets are full of antioxidants which are helpful in cellular protection and reduce the production of free radicals. They also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Beetroots also act as prebiotics meaning they help in the maintenance of beneficial bacteria in the gut. It also helps to reduce constipation.
- Beetroot contains a good amount of fibres in them. These fibres help in maintaining blood cholesterol and gut health along with the maintenance of a healthy weight.
- Folate is present in a good amount in the beetroot. Folate is a very necessary vitamin for pregnant mothers.
- Beetroot contains nitrates in them which help make the body’s muscles relax. It helps to lower your blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
Due to the presence of nitrates, beetroots increase the capacity for physical activity and it also boosts stamina by increasing oxygen consumption.
- Beetroots contain almost 85 % of water in them. This makes it a perfect choice for juices.
- According to the research, the nitrates present in the beetroot help in the dilation of vessels and this helps to maintain brain health. It is proven that beetroot can help in the prevention of dementia.
- Beetroots are the perfect food for weight loss. They contain a large amount of water in them and they are low calorie and low in carbohydrates. This makes them good for weight loss.
- Beetroot contains a good amount of vitamin C which helps in the maintenance of skin health. It promotes collagen formation.
What are the factors that are responsible for the spoilage of beets?
Beets are a Perishable food item and they can be spoiled by several factors including microbial and environmental factors.
- Clostridium botulinum is present in the soil and it can contaminate your beets. Storing beets at room temperature provides the perfect environment to grow. You will never know about its presence and you will get sick.
- Mould can grow on the beets and it can spoil your whole them in a few days.
- The presence of disease-borne bacteria can alter the taste and texture of beets by producing several enzymes.
In this brief guide we answered the following question, “do you have to peel beets?” We discussed the different ways to eat beets. We also discussed the nutritional value and health benefits of eating beets.