In this brief guide, we will address the query “do strawberries have to be refrigerated?”, we will also discuss what are the effects of not disinfecting your strawberries before eating them.
Do strawberries have to be refrigerated?
Yes, strawberries have to be refrigerated. If you want your strawberries to last longer it is recommended to keep them in the fridge. If you keep your strawberries at room temperature, you will need to eat them within one or two days!
When they are not refrigerated is more likely to happen a quicker decay of the fruit, while keeping them in the refrigerator will make them last for about three to seven days, which is a short period but much better than just a couple of days.
What is the best way to store strawberries?
Strawberries are delicious small fruits that have a bittersweet flavor, being perfect for a summer evening. Strawberries do not have a long shelf life, if you let them unrefrigerated they will only last for a couple of days!
Some common methods to store strawberries and improve their shelf life are:
- If possible, leave them in their original package, as they are designed with holes that allow air flow through the fruits. The containers need to be refrigerated, this method only lasts for up to seven days.
- Rinse them with vinegar. Vinegar can help kill mold spores on strawberries. you only need to add one cup of white vinegar into two cups of water, all you need to do is wait for a minute to rinse them. Store in the fridge when dried.
- Use freezer bags to freeze them. This is the best method to keep your strawberries for a longer time, as now it can last for months even! You can prepare delicious milkshakes with frozen strawberries.
What can happen if you eat spoiled strawberries?
Sometimes you can find some mold in your strawberries, it is generally not harmful to your health. However, if you exhibit symptoms of food poisoning you may need to visit your doctor.
If more severe symptoms occur, you may be allergic to strawberries, which can cause severe reactions, such as:
- Shortness of breath
Is it necessary to disinfect your strawberries before eating them?
Despite their pretty color and looks, strawberries need to be washed thoroughly to avoid consuming any harmful compounds. It is a fact that strawberries are the fruits with the heaviest pesticide rate out there. It was found that over 30 pesticides were displayed on only one strawberry!
Also, in TikTok a video about disinfecting strawberries with salt became viral because some worms were moving around the fruits, it was a pretty disgusting scenario. So, please disinfect your strawberries.
An easy way to disinfect strawberries is with the help of vinegar. Soak the entire strawberry, do not cut it in half. Follow this procedure:
- Wash strawberries.
- In a bowl, place four parts cold water to one part white vinegar.
- Soak the whole strawberries in this solution for 20 minutes.
- Rinse them with cold water.
- Dry them with the help of a paper towel.
- Consume parasite-free strawberries!
What are the nutritional benefits of strawberries?
Strawberries can boost your general health if you consume them properly and follow a personalized diet plan. It has been proven that strawberries can help with:
- Increasing good cholesterol levels and degrading more bad cholesterol.
- They contain antioxidants that can help your cells live longer and look young for a long time.
- Also, they can help you control your blood pressure.
Strawberries are an excellent source of different nutrients, a serving of 100g of strawberries will provide you with:
Strawberries also contain several vitamins and minerals, such as:
- Vitamin C
If you want further guidance on this subject, please click here.
Can strawberries cause hepatitis?
Just a month ago, public health officials were investigating an outbreak of hepatitis associated with the consumption of organic H-E-B strawberries. This outbreak was registered in the US and Canada.
Only in the US, the FDA has identified 17 cases of hepatitis linked to these strawberries.No death linked to the strawberries has been reported in any of these countries.
Read more about this situation here.
What are the most delicious dishes with strawberries?
Strawberries can be used in a wide variety of desserts and beverages, some of the public favorites are
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do strawberries have to be refrigerated?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.