Do protein bars expire
In this brief guide, we will address the query, “do protein bars expire?” We will also discuss what are the benefits of consuming protein bars and some other interesting FAQs about this product.
Do protein bars expire?
Yes, protein bars expire. You must attend to the best-by date, as this is the exact period that will keep the quality and benefits of this product.
They usually last about one year, if they can be consumed past this period, the label will indicate it.
Also, depending on the type of protein bar you get, either whole whey protein bars or powdered, they can last for a longer or shorter period. Make sure you read all the ingredients that compound your protein bar.
How long can protein bars last?
Protein bars last for the period estimated in the package, to achieve this, they need to be stored according to certain conditions.
Most protein bars can last for about 6 to 14 months, after this time their quality will begin to deteriorate.
So, if you have some protein bars sitting around your pantry for a long time, you need to know that they may have lost their nutrients, as well as their flavor and texture. This is why it is important to consume them before the best-by date.
However, it is important to point out that the best-by date is not an expiration date, but it determines the time the product will keep its original features. Also, not all protein bars have the same shelf life, make sure you check the package.
Can you eat protein bars after their expiration date?
Although you may notice the smell and flavor of an expired protein bar have changed a lot, this does not mean that it will forcefully cause some damage to your health.
Most protein bars can contain nuts that can go rancid as time passes. If you eat them not much after the expiration date, you might only detect a funky taste. But, eating them over a long time can damage several aspects of your body.
Rancid nuts can produce free radicals, which are molecules formed by an oxidation mechanism that can lead to different consequences for human health, such as
- Digestive issues.
- Reduce important nutrients, like vitamins and fats.
- Free radicals have also been associated with causing cancer.
If you want to read more about the effects of rancidity in nuts, you can click here.
How should you store protein bars?
Proper storage is important to guarantee protein bars keep their nutritional value for a long time, without losing any of their flavor or texture. The factors that you need to take care of are
- Keep a cool temperature. Because of the nature of their ingredients, they need to be kept in a cool environment to prevent bacterial growth.
- Keep them in their original packaging. The package of protein bars has been designed to maintain their freshness as it can protect them from oxygen and air, these elements are responsible for protein degradation.
- Avoid storing your protein bar away from direct sunlight. Nuts can go rancid quickly when exposed to sunlight.
In general, you need to keep your protein bar away from any source of heat and humidity as they can affect their nutritional value and quality.
What factors indicate when protein bars have expired?
Certain elements can help you notice when protein bars have gone bad, such as
- Mold growth. When protein bars have been exposed to humidity, it is likely they develop mold. If you notice mold in your protein bar, please do not smell it! Mold produces toxins that when inhaled cause lung damage.
- Rancid smell. Protein bars contain nuts that when spoiled go rancid. So, if your bar smells rancid, it is time to throw it away.
- Stale taste. If your protein bar has passed the visual and smell test, its flavor will tell you when they have gone bad.
What are the benefits of consuming protein bars?
Protein bars are an easy-to-get snack that has been associated with several health benefits, such as
- High levels of nutrients. Protein bars not only provide you with proteins but with carbohydrates, which makes them the perfect choice after working out. Also, they provide vitamins and minerals.
- Helps lose weight. Keeping a high protein diet has been linked to weight loss because of its filling effects. However, it is also important to maintain a balanced diet, protein bars will not do all the work!
- Gain weight. Athletes are the ones that consume protein bars the most, as protein is essential to guarantee muscle growth. To get further guidance on this subject, please click here.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do protein bars expire?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.