In this brief guide, we will address the query, “do plums need to be refrigerated?” We will also discuss how you can notice when plums have gone bad and the proper way to store them.
Do plums need to be refrigerated?
Yes, plums need to be refrigerated. But it is until they are ripe that they need to be stored in the fridge.
When they are not soft enough, they can be left at room temperature until they are soft to the touch and smell sweet.
The reason why a fridge is only needed until the ripening stage is because its texture and taste can be modified with cold temperatures.
When stored in the fridge, they can be consumed within 3 to 5 days. If you need longer storage, the freezer is your choice.
In what conditions should plums be stored?
The way you store plums should take into consideration the state of the plum, if it has not ripen yet, it is recommended to store them at room temperature until they become soft and sweet-smelling.
Unripe plums can be stored in the pantry until they are ready to be consumed, but you do need to guarantee they are not exposed to direct sunlight.
It is recommended to check them twice a day. If you want them to ripen quicker, you can store them in a paper bag to keep the ethylene in contact with them.
Once they have ripened, they need to be stored in the refrigerator. You can store them in a plastic bag, or any container that protects them from any smell in your fridge.
How do you need to store ripe plums?
Once again, ripe plums need to be stored in the fridge but it is important you meet several criteria to preserve them better and for a longer time
- Your fridge needs to be clean and free from any heavy smells. If you do not care about this, you will end up with fridge-odoring plums.
- To prevent bruising, you can store them in an egg carton. It is recommended to not store any heavy object above them and to choose a clean egg carton.
- Try to consume them as fast as they ripen. They will taste better and fresher, and you do not necessarily need to eat them whole, you can use them to prepare some delicious recipes.
How long do plums last?
You need to wait for only 1 to 2 days for your plums to ripen, you will notice when they are ready as they will exhibit a squishy texture and a sweet smell.
After ripening, they will be stored in the fridge, and their quality will be maintained for up to 3 to 5 days.
If you have bought too many plums, you can prepare different dishes and desserts with them, or you can also store them in the freezer. It is up to you!
Can you freeze plums?
Freezing is a storage method used to preserve food for a longer period, that can be from various months to whole years!
However, it is not like you only need to throw them in the freezer and that is it, you need to prepare them for such cold temperatures.
Although plums need to be prepared for their storage in the freezer, the preparation is not hard and will guarantee a long shelf life. All you need to do is to
- First, the perfect plums to freeze are the ones that are at their best point of ripeness. This will ensure the best flavor.
- Once chosen, you need to wash them and dry them with the help of a paper towel.
- Cut the plums into slices and take the pits out.
- Place the slices on a bakery paper and quickly freeze them. This will only take you about two hours, wait until they are frozen.
- It is time to place the slices in a freezer bag, squeeze out all the air and seal the bag.
- Finally, you can place them in the freezer! It is recommended to label them, this will help you keep track of time.
What signs indicate when plums have gone bad?
Several signs can help you notice when plums have passed their peak quality, after 5 days their quality will start to decay, make sure you check for the following aspects to determine if you can still consume them
- Extremely soft texture.
- Dark spots on the outside.
- Mold growth.
- Off smell.
- Odd appearance.
Are plums healthy?
Plums have been associated with different health benefits thanks to their nutritional information
|Nutritional data about plums|
You can read more about the health benefits associated with these fruits, click here to get further guidance on this subject.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do plums need to be refrigerated?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.