In this brief guide, we will address the query, “do oranges need to be refrigerated?” We will also discuss what is the shelf life of oranges and how you need to store them.
Do oranges need to be refrigerated?
No, oranges do not need to be refrigerated. Although refrigerating can enlarge the shelf life of this fruit, it is not compulsory to store them there. When stored at room temperature, oranges can last for only a week.
However, if you have already cut your oranges, then you will need to place the pieces in an airtight container, and cover them with plastic wrap. This will prepare them for their storage in the refrigerator.
Can oranges be stored at room temperature?
Yes, you can store your oranges on the countertop but you need to know that this will only preserve your fruit for about a week, so you need to be quick. However, refrigerating can help you preserve them for a longer time as they can be good for up to three to four weeks.
It is recommended to place oranges in an airtight container once they have been cut. If kept whole, you can use mesh bags as they will allow airflow and prevent mold growth. Also, it is not recommended to wash them before storing them.
Always store them in a cool, dry, and dark place to prevent rapid spoilage! Also, prevent storing them in spaces where the temperature fluctuates, as this can affect the shelf life.
Can you freeze oranges?
Yes, oranges can also be frozen to guarantee larger shelf life. You can choose from freezing them whole or into pieces. Can you imagine drinking orange juice from a cool orange? I am sure it will be a wholesome experience.
Do not forget that when oranges are frozen, they need to be thawed which can cause changes in their texture. However, they can surely be used to prepare juices, smoothies, or baked desserts. What is your favorite way to use oranges?
How long can oranges last?
The place you choose to store your oranges will determine how long they can keep their freshness. Once again, storing your fresh fruit at room temperature will only preserve its quality for a week.
Refrigerating oranges will let you enjoy their sweet taste and pulpy texture for almost a month, so it is up to you to decide the place where they will be stored.
If you choose to freeze your oranges, you can keep them for up to a year! Also, if you feel you have bought too many oranges, several recipes can help you use the extra fruit.
If you want to diversify your orange consumption, you can click here to know more than 30 recipes including oranges. Let us know which one was your favorite!
What is the proper method to store oranges?
You can choose to store whole or cut oranges, and you need to attend to various recommendations to do so.
To store whole oranges, you can choose the fridge or the freezer, depending on how quickly you want to consume the fruit.
- First of all, only wash the oranges until you are ready to eat them. If you wash them before their storage, it is likely they will develop mold.
- Now, you need to dry the oranges before placing them into an airtight container.
- And that is it, you can safely store them in the fridge for up to a month.
To store portioned oranges, you need to know that they will spoil quicker than whole fruit. All you need to do is to
- First, all the tiny portions need to be wrapped with plastic wrap.
- Then, you need to move them into an airtight container, this will prevent freezer burn.
- Finally, they are ready to be consumed within three to four days.
What signs indicate when oranges have rot?
It is pretty easy to determine whether oranges are still safe for human consumption, and all you need are your senses. The signs that will let you know when you need to throw oranges away are
- Bruising. When you notice bruises on the orange’s skin, they have likely started to spoil.
- Wrinkle peel. This indicates that oranges have dried out, and their taste might not be the best.
- Mushy texture. Oranges should feel firm when you touch them, if they feel mushy instead, it is not recommended to consume them.
- Mold growth. When mold has grown, it is an undeniable sign that those fruits should not be eaten anymore.
Oranges are a fruit that let you feel a summery flavor and are also linked to several health benefits, you can get further guidance here.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do oranges need to be refrigerated?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.