In this brief guide, we will address the query, “do kiwis need to be refrigerated?” We will also discuss what is the shelf life of kiwis and how you can store them to preserve them for longer.
Do kiwis need to be refrigerated?
Yes, kiwis need to be refrigerated. Once kiwis have ripened, they need to be stored in the refrigerator. Before this time, they should be left at room temperature to accelerate the ripening.
You must guarantee the space where kiwis are stored is dry, cold, and not exposed to direct sunlight or abrupt temperature changes. If you do not take care of these factors, kiwis can go bad quickly.
Are kiwis healthy?
Kiwis are a delicious fruit characterized by their brown fuzzy skin and vibrant green, juicy flesh. They have a bittersweet flavor that makes them the perfect pair with yogurt, bread with Nutella, or even by themselves!
The texture of kiwis’ flesh is grainy-like because of tiny edible seeds. When kiwis have ripened, they will exhibit a sweet flavor, but before this point, the taste can be too acidic.
Despite their sensory features, kiwis are also an excellent source of diverse nutrients, especially vitamin C. They also exhibit a high fiber content, you can also get minerals and vitamins when eating kiwi.
According to official information, one wiki (69 grams) will provide you with
|Nutritional information about kiwis|
Vitamin C is exhibited in a large amount, even when compared with lemons or oranges! Also, this compound has been proven as an excellent agent to boost your immune system while also taking care of your skin.
If you want to learn more about vitamin C, click here.
What are interesting facts about kiwis?
Kiwis are an interesting species that have been associated with different uses and health benefits. Some of these benefits can be
- Enhance digestive health. Kiwis contain a lot of dietary fiber, ideal for relieving constipation symptoms.
- Boost skin health. Thanks to their high vitamin C content, even higher than lemons and oranges, kiwis can prevent sun damage, and give a healthy, juicy look to your skin.
- Improve bone health. Kiwis are rich in diverse vitamins and minerals, some of which have been proven to be helpful to bone formation.
- Heart health. Thanks to their high fiber content, kiwis will reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in your body, reducing the chances of heart disease.
- Eye health. Kiwi contains lutein, a compound found in the retina of the eye. The function of lutein is to prevent any eye disease. Make sure you consume a lot of kiwis!
If you want to read some more about the diverse health benefits associated with kiwi consumption, click here.
What is the shelf life of a kiwi?
The shelf life of kiwis depends on two different factors
- The place you have chosen to store them.
- If kiwis have ripened.
First, before ripening, kiwis need to be stored at room temperature for about 3 to 7 days. Once ripened, kiwis should be consumed within 3 to 6 days, and also, they need to be placed in the fridge as soon as they have ripened.
Now, let’s focus on how long their shelf life grows when stored in the fridge. Unripe fruit can be stored for up to a month. Once ripened, it will only be good for 2 to 4 weeks. Still a huge difference, right?
However, these times are only estimated that can vary when proper storage is not attended to.
How can you tell when kiwis have gone bad?
You do not only need to check for ripening but also some other factors that indicate kiwis are no longer appropriate for human consumption. Some of them are
- Mushy texture. Kiwis should feel firm, and when gently pressed, a tender feeling should be noted. But if it has become mushy and all soft, it has spoiled.
- Off smell. When you no longer notice the citrusy smell but an acidic odor has appeared, it means kiwis have spoiled.
- Dark flesh. Kiwis’ skin is naturally dark, but the flesh is also covered by dark spots. It is time to say goodbye!
Check for any of these signs daily, once a kiwi has started to spoil, all of the others will also be exposed to the substances produced, which can leave you with a whole basket of rotten kiwis.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do kiwis need to be refrigerated?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.