In this brief guide, we will address the query, “do cinnamon sticks go bad?” We will also discuss what is the shelf life of cinnamon sticks and how you can preserve them better.
Do cinnamon sticks go bad?
No, cinnamon sticks do not go bad. When stored for too long, they do lose their strong taste. But what is too long for this ingredient? Cinnamon sticks can maintain their quality for up to 3 to 4 years.
Even though cinnamon sticks exhibit a longer shelf life than the ground type, you need to take care of certain factors to guarantee the best quality for a long time.
How long do cinnamon sticks last?
Cinnamon is well known for its long shelf life, whether it is ground or sticks. Cinnamon sticks are proven to have a longer shelf life than the ground variety. Their shelf life can be enlarged for about 3 to 4 years, while ground cinnamon can only last for 1 year past its best-before date.
To guarantee this shelf life, it is important you follow the recommended guidelines for their storage.
How can you tell when cinnamon sticks are bad?
Cinnamon sticks will not exhibit the same type of spoilage as most types of foods, but they do go bad when not stored properly. Check for the following factors to detect any weird features
- Make sure the bag when they are stored does not have any insects, it is surprising how persistent pantry insects are.
- If you spot some mold, they have gone bad.
- Cinnamon sticks are well known for their smell, if you detect any weird odors, they might have gone bad.
- Also, take a look at their appearance, if you notice anything is off, throw them away.
How can you check the flavor of cinnamon sticks?
When cinnamon sticks have been stored for too long, their flavor might suffer the consequences. To check any changes in this factor, follow the next guidelines.
- First, grab a cinnamon stich¡k and grate it a little bit.
- The resulting powder should be grabbed with your fingers to smell and taste it.
- If you notice that the flavor is not as strong as the original, you can still use it. However, if you did not detect any flavor, it is better to discard all the cinnamon sticks.
How do cinnamon sticks need to be stored?
The place and way you choose to store cinnamon sticks will be crucial for keeping their original features. It is important to store them in a place that is cool, dry, and dark; all of these factors are vital to prevent quick spoilage.
Make sure you seal the bag well, this will keep insects and other agents away from your cinnamon sticks. Also, they will not absorb any odors that can be floating around in the pantry.
To guarantee all of these recommendations you do not need more than an airtight bag, if you seal it well, your cinnamon sticks will keep their features for a long time.
What can you do with expired cinnamon sticks?
Luckily for us, expired spices can be repurposed so you avoid wasting your money. There are very creative ideas that will help you use expired spices, such as
- DIY Potpourri. Cinnamon sticks can be mixed with some other expired species, they can be placed in a decorative bowl and some drops of essential oils will do wonders for the smell of your house.
- Natural fungicide. Cinnamon is known for its anti-fungal features; if you find it with tasteless cinnamon, you can easily prepare a spray to take care of your plants. You only need to stir cinnamon into hot water and let it sit overnight. Filter the liquid and store it in a spray bottle.
- Infused oil. If you feel like having a spa day, expired cinnamon sticks can help you get exquisite oil for your massages. You only need to add a few drops of jojoba or vanilla oil. Thank me later!
- Mothball. Cinnamon is known for its ability to repel insects. You can use them to keep your closet away from any unwanted species.
If you want to read more about the antifungal properties of cinnamon, click here.
Do cinnamon sticks have a shelf life?
Yes, as you can tell from this guide, cinnamon will go bad when it is not properly stored or when it has been sitting for a long time in the pantry. However, when it has gone bad not everything is lost, you can still use it for several activities.
Make sure to attend to all the recommendations here described to guarantee a longer shelf life for your cinnamon sticks.
Other FAQs about Cinnamon that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “do cinnamon sticks go bad?” We have also discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.
Hope you found this blog useful. If you have any questions, please let us know.