In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “do chocolate chips go bad” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not the chocolate chips go bad. Moreover, we are going to discuss the shelf life of chocolate chips, sugar bloom, fat bloom, and tips to store chocolate chips properly.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Do chocolate chips go bad?
Yes, like every other food item, chocolate chips also go bad after a certain time. The shelf life of the chocolate chips is shorter as compared to the bar of chocolate owing to their small size and large surface area.
Different chocolates have different amounts of cocoa solids and cocoa butter present in them. For instance, dark chocolate contains the highest amount of cocoa solids and its taste profile is inclined more towards the bitter one.
On the other hand, the milk chocolate has added sugar and milk along with preservatives, cocoa butter, and cocoa solids in it that gives it a creamy mouthfeel and makes it sweet and high in calories.
Last but not least milk chocolate has milk, sugar, cocoa butter, and preservatives in its composition and does not contain cocoa solids.
What is the shelf life of chocolate chips?
Chocolate chips last for about 2-4 months when properly stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
On the other hand, chocolate chips have a shelf life of about 6-8 months if they are stored in an air-tight container or a plastic zipper bag in the fridge. Refrigeration prolongs the shelf life of the chocolate chips but care should be taken while storing the chocolate chips in the fridge as the moisture present in the fridge is one of the enemies of the quality and freshness of chocolate chips.
In case you want to store your chocolate chips in the fridge, it is recommended to keep them in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag so that the moisture present in the fridge won’t mess up with the quality of the chocolate chips.
Moreover, if you just want to use the chocolate chips in your cookie dough then you can even keep the chocolate chips for as long as 2-3 years in the fridge in an air-tight container. It is also worth mentioning that milk chocolate chips have a slightly shorter shelf life as compared to dark chocolate chips.
You can read how to make chocolate chip cookies here.
What is sugar bloom?
If a white powdery layer covers the whole surface of the chocolate then it can be the indication of the sugar bloom and this phenomenon takes place because of the separation of sugars from the chocolate. The chocolate having sugar bloom can have a change in its taste as well as appearance. Moreover such chocolate also develops a grainy structure.
What is fat bloom?
If you see some greyish streaks present on the chocolate then it may be an indication of fat bloom. Fat bloom changes the appearance of the chocolate but the flavor and aroma of the chocolate will be fine. Fat bloom takes place due to the separation of the cocoa butter from the rest of the solid and this cocoa butter (fats) appear in the form of the dots on the surface of the chocolate.
Fat bloom does not mean that the chocolate has gone bad, so as long as the flavor and smell of the chocolate are fine you can consume it.
You should never confuse the fat bloom with the mold and if you see some mold developed on the surface of the chocolate then it indicates bad chocolate and you should get rid of it.
How to properly store chocolate chips?
- Chocolate chips should always be stored at a low temperature to preserve their freshness and quality for a long time.
- Chocolate chips should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. Therefore you can safely store the chocolate chips in a cool and dry corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
- An open pack of chocolate chips has to be stored in an air-tight container, or plastic zipper bag. It is necessary to store the chocolate this way so that no air and moisture will find their way to the chocolate and degrade its quality.
- Another reason for storing the chocolate chips in air-tight containers is that chocolate chips can pick up the odor of other foods therefore it is recommended to store them in an air-tight container. Moreover, chocolate chips should be stored away from strong-smelling foods like fish, onion, garlic, etc.
- In case you want to store your chocolate chips in the fridge, it is recommended to keep them in an air-tight container or wrapped in a plastic bag so that the moisture present in the fridge won’t mess up with the quality of the chocolate chips.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “do chocolate chips go bad” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not the chocolate chips go bad. Moreover, we discussed the shelf life of chocolate chips, sugar bloom, fat bloom, and tips to store chocolate chips properly.