Can you substitute rum for rum extract?
In this article, we will answer the question “Can you substitute rum for rum extract?”, and what are the other substitutes for rum extract?
Can you substitute rum for rum extract?
Yes, you can substitute rum for rum extract. Although rum is an alcoholic drink, it has a very similar flavor profile to rum extract. For every 1 tablespoon of rum extract, use 3 tablespoons of light rum or 2,5 tablespoons of dark rum. This substitute works best in tiramisu and brownies.
Other substitutes for rum extract
Vanilla extract is easily available in all grocery stores. Some varieties of the vanilla extract also contain alcohol. If alcohol is something that concerns you, read the label of the vanilla extract before buying.
You can replace the rum extract with the vanilla extract in a 1:1 ratio. The vanilla extract works best in cakes, cookies, and pies.
This alcohol liqueur is not limited to being used in cocktails. Due to a similar flavor profile to the rum extract, bourbon can be substituted for rum extract to make cakes, cookies, and brownies. Replace the rum extract with bourbon in a 1:2 ratio, respectively.
Coffee extract is made using coffee beans and alcohol. The coffee extract has a very rich flavor that works best in baked goods, ice cream, cocktails, and tiramisu.
Coffee extract can be substituted for rum extract in a 1:1 ratio. This substitute is only viable if you do not mind the coffee flavor in the finished product.
Tequila is distilled from the fermented juices of the agave plant. Tequila has a rich alcoholic flavor and works best in energy bars, cakes, and cupcakes. Substitute tequila for rum extract in a 2:1 ratio.
Cachaca is a Brazilian white rum. Sugar cane is used as the raw material for making cachaca. This substitute may not be as readily available as the other substitutes for rum extract, especially if you do not live in or near Brazil.
However, if you get your hands on cachaca, use it as a substitute for rum extract in a 3:1 ratio, respectively. Cachaca has a mild lemony flavor due to which it works best in lemon cakes.
Cognac is a French wine distillate and is traditionally used for meat dishes. But you can also use it as a replacement for rum extract in making desserts such as chocolate cream, pudding, and punch. If the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of rum extract, use 2-2.5 tablespoons of cognac.
Orange liqueur is conventionally used in cocktails but you can use it to flavor your orange or mandarin cakes because it imparts a sweet, fruity, and orange-like flavor to the end product. If the recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of rum extract, use 3 tablespoons of orange liquor instead.
How to make rum cake?
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup light rum
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
For rum glaze
- 1 ½ stick butter (either salted or unsalted – both work)
- ¼ cup room temperature water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 cup light rum
- Preheat your oven to 350℉.
- Generously grease the bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of the bundt pan with finely chopped pecans. Then add a layer of brown sugar over the pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk yellow cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, water, rum, and oil until homogenous. Pour this batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour. The baking time is reduced if you are using a black Bundt pan.
- For the glaze, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Then pour water and stir in the sugar.
- Bring this mixture to a rolling boil. Then reduce the heat and cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Constantly stir the mixture with a spatula to prevent scorching the butter and sugar.
- Remove the freshly baked cake from the oven and pour ⅓ of the glaze over the cake while it is still piping hot.
- Let the cake sit for several minutes. Then pull out the cake from the pan onto the serving plate. Poke holes into the cake using a fork or toothpick. Then pour the rest of the glaze over the cake.
- When the cake reaches room temperature, wrap it with plastic or cover it with a dome-shaped lid.
- Let the cake rest for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the glaze to thoroughly absorb into the cake.
- Sprinkle the cake with some powdered sugar before serving.
Other FAQs about Rum that you may be interested in.
How much rum does it take to get drunk?
How long does rum last once opened?
In this article, we answered the question “Can you substitute rum for rum extract?”, and what are the other substitutes for rum extract?