In this article, we will answer the question “Can you substitute almond milk for milk in pancakes?” and what are the other alternatives to milk for in pancakes?
Can you substitute almond milk for milk in pancakes?
Yes, you can substitute almond milk for cow milk in pancakes. The result is the same light and fluffy pancakes. If you are a vegan and want to avoid dairy, you can skip both milk and butter to make pancakes. Use vegetable oil instead. You can use either plain or vanilla-flavored almond milk for your recipe.
If you are allergic to dairy, therefore, reluctant to add dairy milk to your pancakes, this article will show you the best non-dairy alternatives to dairy milk. Almond milk can also be used in place of regular milk to make waffles, muffins, and cereal bowls. Read on if you want to know how to make dairy-free and delicious pancakes.
Cow milk vs Almond milk
Almond milk is lactose, soy, and gluten-free. Almond milk has a higher Vitamin D and Vitamin E content than dairy milk. Unsweetened almond milk is, in fact, a very healthy alternative to any recipe other than pancakes. Because it has zero cholesterol, saturated fats, and trans fats. It is recommended not to use sweetened almond milk to benefit from these nutrients.
Almond milk is a very low-calorie substitute. A comparison of the nutritional profile of reduced-fat dairy milk and unsweetened dairy milk is given in the table below.
|Almond milk(Unsweetened)(g/cup)||Reduced-fat dairy milk(g/cup)|
The sugar content of the store-bought almond milk varies according to the brand. Some brands may be sugar added along with some preservatives and casein protein.
Almond milk pancake recipe
- 2 cups flour (256g)
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups plain/vanilla almond milk
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a hole in the middle and add all the dry ingredients.
- Whisk all the ingredients until a runny and smooth batter is formed.
- Using a ladle, pour the pancake batter onto a greased pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until you see bubbles forming on top of the pancakes. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Almond milk pancake toppings
Pancakes are not sweet so you can add sweet toppings to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- You can sift confectioner’s sugar all over the pancakes and serve them with fresh fruit chunks.
- Drizzle maple syrup on the pancakes and serve with sliced bananas and some blueberries for a tangy twist.
- If you are a chocolate fan, you can serve the pancakes with chunks of dark chocolate or drizzle some chocolate syrup on top.
- Combine plain yogurt or Greek yogurt with your favorite fruit chunks and top your pancakes with it.
- Pumpkin and ricotta cheese spread on pancakes is another way you can serve pancakes.
- If you do not have fresh fruits at hand, you can top the pancakes with some fruit jam. Alternatively, you can mix the jam in yogurt and spread it on top. Topping pancakes with applesauce is another option.
Other substitutes of milk for pancakes
- If you want to go dairy-free, you can opt for some non-dairy yet nutritious alternatives to dairy milk other than almond milk. Oat milk, soy milk, hemp milk, water, cashew milk, rice milk, and
- coconut milk.
- Diary alternatives like cream and eggnog can also be used instead of regular milk.
- Other than these fresh orange juice can also be used to give a tangy hint to the pancakes. Mashed bananas, when added to pancakes, omit the need to add sugar. The pancakes made with mashed bananas are dense and rich. Use ripe bananas for maximum sweetness.
Pancakes made with dairy milk alternatives might brown slower or come out chewier than the classic recipe due to lower sugar and fat content, respectively.
- An unconventional alternative to milk is beer. Beer can be added to pancakes instead of milk in a 1:1 ratio. Due to the presence of CO2 gas, beer adds a lot of bubbles to the pancakes making them more might and fluffy.
The end-product might have a mild beer flavor. Prefer adding a malt-heavy beer to avoid making the pancakes bitter and aciidc.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you substitute almond milk for milk in pancakes?” and what are the other alternatives to milk for in pancakes?