In this article, we will answer the question “Can you scramble an egg by shaking it?”, and how to make the perfect scrambled eggs?
Can you scramble an egg by shaking it?
- First, of all, grabs all the things including a long-sleeve t-shirt, an egg, 2 rubber bands, and a plastic bag.
- Now carefully place the egg inside the plastic bag. Squeeze out all the air from the bag to seal the eggs.
- Place the sealed egg in the sleeve of the t-shirt. To secure the eggs inside the sleeve, take the rubber bands and tie the sleeve at the top and the bottom of the egg.
- Hold the shirt such that one hand is at the lower end of the egg and the other hand is grasping the upper end of the sleeve.
- Swing the sleeves like a jump rope for about 15 seconds. When the sleeve comes loose due to the weight of the egg. Tighten the sleeve so that the motion of the egg is halted.
- Using a flashlight, check to see If the egg has been scrambled. A scrambled egg will not pass any light through it, unlike the regular egg.
- When you are done, cook the eggs for 15 minutes in hot boiling water.
How to make the perfect scrambled eggs?
Follow the tips given below to make the perfect scrambled eggs each time.
Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl
You will have to wash another bowl but is worth it. Because whisking your eggs in a separate bowl allows you to eliminate any eggshell pieces or spoiled eggs. Also, you can take your time to whisk and add the spices instead of hurrying and ending up overcooking your scrambled eggs.
Cook on slow heat
Always fry your scrambled eggs on low-medium heat. This locks the moisture and prevents the eggs from going dry, chewy, or bland.
The swirl and sweep technique
Pour the whisked egg mixture onto a hot pan and start swirling rapidly using a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula. This helps form small curdles or lumps of scrambled eggs. After the curdles start to set, sweep the scrambled eggs from this point onward. This technique helps you to make the perfect scrambled eggs with moist lumps.
When the scrambled eggs have been cooked but maintain a runny consistency in some places, now is the time to turn off the flame and let the eggs finish off cooking in the carryover heat. This way you can make sure that the scrambled eggs are mushy and moist without getting dry and rubbery.
Scrambled eggs recipe
- Whisk eggs with milk and add spices like pepper, chili, and salt. Adding herbs like oregano and thyme is optional but brings out a lot of flavor in the eggs.
- Use cream cheese or yogurt as an alternative to milk. This adds a hint of tanginess to your scrambled eggs.
- Grease your non-stick pan and pour the whisked egg. Season your cast iron pan before cooking.
- Pour the eggs on a hot pan and cook the eggs on low to medium heat. Add the cheese once the eggs are a little cooked to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Scramble the eggs with the help of a spatula towards the center gently. Do not scramble right after pouring the eggs on the pan. Let it cook so that it is not extremely runny when you scramble it.
- You can add bacon or cooked quinoa for a protein boost. It makes for an excellent breakfast choice.
- Curry powder, coriander, and red onions provide a very pronounced flavor. Add pesto for a nutty kick.
How to reheat scrambled eggs?
Scrambled eggs can be reheated both on the stovetop and in the microwave.
- When reheating on a stovetop, grease or season your pan and stir-fry your scrambled eggs gently removing the excess fluid. Serve hot.
- When reheating in a microwave, put the scrambled eggs in a microwave-friendly plate or bowl. Cover it with microwave-proof plastic wrap. Heat on a medium scale. Remove any excess fluid that collects. Serve hot.
When to discard scrambled eggs?
- If the scrambled eggs smell foul, throw it out.
- If the scrambled develop a slimy texture and feel tacky upon touching, it is an indication of bacterial growth. Discard it immediately.
- If the eggs develop green patches on the surface or look discolored, toss it in the bin as it is a sign of fungal growth.
- Any dusty or powdery appearance is a sign of mold growth and the eggs should be discarded without a second thought.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you scramble an egg by shaking it?”, and how to make the perfect scrambled eggs?