In this article, we will answer the question “Can you refrigerate scrambled eggs?”, and how to freeze store scrambled eggs?
Can you refrigerate scrambled eggs?
Yes, you can refrigerate scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs are the go-to breakfast option because they are nutritious and delicious. If you want to store your leftover scrambled eggs or want to store them for later use, this article is what you need.
They can be stored for four days before spoilage starts to occur. Avoid putting them in the refrigerator door, the temperature is highest there which could lead to early spoilage.
Read on if you want to know how to store your leftover or bulk scrambled eggs along with the top variations of scrambled eggs.
How long can you refrigerate scrambled eggs?
You can refrigerate scrambled eggs for up to 4 days. After this time period, they do not remain safe for consumption. Also make sure that your scrambled eggs are not stored in the door of your refrigerator which is opened frequently. This will cause them to spoil faster.
Can you refrigerate and reheat scrambled eggs?
Yes, you can refrigerate and reheat scrambled eggs. But you should keep in mind that eggs are safe to consume within 4 days when refrigerated. It is imperative that you don’t let them sit in the fridge for too long.
How to refrigerate scrambled eggs?
Follow the instructions below to store your scrambled eggs in the fridge.
- Let the scrambled eggs cool off on the counter. If you store them hot inside a container, the steam will ruin the texture.
- After the eggs have come to room temperature, put the scrambled eggs in an air-tight container. You can use a Tupperware container but glassware is preferred.
- Put the container in the fridge at a steady temperature of 4°C or below. The eggs will be good for another 4 days in the fridge if stored correctly.
How to freeze scrambled eggs?
Frozen scrambled eggs will stay for 1-6 months. However, it is important to freeze them the right way.
- Add salt and do not overcook to avoid a rubbery texture of thawed scrambled eggs. After the eggs have come to room temperature, put them in a freezer bag.
- Squeeze out air from the bag and label.
- It is recommended to freeze store the scrambled eggs in single-serving portion size to avoid contamination.
How to make the perfect scrambled eggs?
Follow the tips given below to make the perfect scrambled eggs each time.
Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl
You will have to wash another bowl but is worth it. Because whisking your eggs in a separate bowl allows you to eliminate any eggshell pieces or spoiled eggs. Also, you can take your time to whisk and add the spices instead of hurrying and ending up overcooking your scrambled eggs.
Cook on slow heat
Always fry your scrambled eggs on low-medium heat. This locks the moisture and prevents the eggs from going dry, chewy, or bland.
The swirl and sweep technique
Pour the whisked egg mixture onto a hot pan and start swirling rapidly using a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula. This helps form small curdles or lumps of scrambled eggs. After the curdles start to set, sweep the scrambled eggs from this point onward. This technique helps you to make the perfect scrambled eggs with moist lumps.
When the scrambled eggs have been cooked but maintain a runny consistency in some places, now is the time to turn off the flame and let the eggs finish off cooking in the carryover heat. This way you can make sure that the scrambled eggs are mushy and moist without getting dry and rubbery.
Other FAQs about Eggs which you may be interested in.
How to reheat scrambled eggs?
Scrambled eggs can be reheated on the stovetop in a pan or microwave.
- When reheating on the stovetop, grease your pan. If the pan is non0stick you can skip the greasing. If the pan is cast iron, you need to season it first.
- Now put the eggs on the greased pan and stir fry until completely hot.
- When reheating in the microwave, simply put your scrambled eggs in an oven-proof plate or dish and cover it with an oven-friendly plastic sheet or wrap. Remove the excess fluid by checking on the eggs after 30-sec intervals. Serve warm.
Scrambled eggs variations
- You can play around with spices. In addition to the basic salt and pepper, you can add chili flakes or curry powder for a bold and spicy flavor.
- For a creamier texture, try adding milk or cheese or both to your eggs. Add the cheese at the end to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. You can use fets cheese, shredded parmesan or cheddar cheese, or goat cheese. Parmesan cheese pairs well with spinach.
- If you like meat in your scrambled eggs, add bacon pieces or chorizos to your scrambled eggs.
- Herbs enhance the flavor and visual appeal of the scrambled eggs. You can use thyme, parsley, or oregano for an earthy flavor. Finish off your scrambled eggs with freshly chopped chives or scallions.
- Garnish your scrambled eggs with dill and shredded or crumbled feta cheese.
- Finish off your creamy scrambled eggs with lightly sauteed cherry tomatoes in garlic.
- If you love to have avocados in your breakfast, stuff them with cheesy scrambled eggs for a nutritious and delicious breakfast
In this article, we answered the question “Can you refrigerate scrambled eggs?”, and how to freeze store scrambled eggs?