In this article, we will answer the question “Can you reboil soft boiled eggs?”, and how to boil eggs to just the right extent along with the best recipes for parboiled eggs.
Can you reboil soft boiled eggs?
Yes, you can reboil soft boiled eggs if you do not like a runny yolk and soft egg white. An egg is a versatile and staple part of breakfasts. One large egg provides about 6.28 grams of protein. In order to make this protein pliable, it needs to be cooked or boiled.
Read on if you want to know how to reheat your soft boiled eggs and how to boil eggs perfectly in the first boil.
How to reboil soft boiled eggs?
- If your egg is too runny for you to consume, follow the steps below to reboil it until solid. This method applies to both peeled and un-peeled eggs.
- Take a pot or a saucepan. Pour enough water for the egg to submerge completely.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Place your soft-boiled egg into the boiling with the help of a spoon and turn off the flame.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let the egg sit in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- Take out the egg using a spoon and run under tap water to halt the cooking process.
- Consume immediately or keep in the fridge for 2 days.
Use the same process to warm your hard-boiled eggs. Reduce the holding time to 2 minutes to avoid overcooking your egg.
In the case of dyed eggs, reboiling is not an appropriate option if the dye is water-soluble. Even if it does not dissolve in water, it will penetrate the egg through the pores which open due to reboiling.
This may have negative health impacts especially if the dye is not food grade.
Note that heating boiled egg in the microwave with its shell intact will have disastrous results.
The egg might blow off and you will end up with a lot of cleanups to do.
This happens because the moisture trapped inside the shell produces steam and creates pressure. As this pressure builds with more heating, the shell ruptures and explodes.
If you have cut the boiled egg and the yolk is too runny, you can reheat it in the microwave until solid.
The science behind boiled eggs?
An egg is a rich source of protein. A large egg has approximately 628g protein, 3.6g of which constitutes the egg white.
The building block of proteins is amino acids which are held together by weak bonds. These covalent bonds are weak enough to be broken by the heat that is provided during boiling.
The heat breaks these weak bonds and stimulates the amino acids to make stronger bonds simultaneously. During this process, water is expelled through the egg resulting in the solidification and denaturation of the protein.
Proteins in an egg pass through the following stages during boiling.
- At 130-140°F, egg proteins start to unfold.
- At 140°F, ovotransferrin turns the egg white into a gelatinous matrix as a result of bonding with itself.
- At 155°F, ovotransferrin is moist but solid.
- At 180°F, ovalbumin makes the egg white firm due to cross bonding.
- Above 180°F, proteins lose water slowly. As a result of dehydration, the egg white develops a dry a rubbery texture and starts to give off a foul Hydrogen sulfide smell.
How to boil eggs to just the right extent?
Always place the egg into the water once it comes to a boil and place the eggs under cold running water to halt the cooking process once the desired form of the egg is achieved.
|Egg texture||Holding time|
|Soft white and a runny yolk||4-6 minutes|
|Soft yolk that stays in place||8 minutes|
|A firm yolk with a central soft spot||10 minutes|
|hard -boiled egg with a light yolk||12 minutes|
|Hard boiled egg with a frimer white and yolk but nor overcooked||14 minutes|
Soft boiled eggs recipes
- Add the soft-boiled eggs to ramen noodles or add it to your salad bowls for a protein boost.
- Add it to your soup or chicken curry.
- Bake your favorite green leafy vegetables and break the color by adding an egg with a bright yellow runny yolk.
- Make porridge and to give it a spicy twist, top with kimchi and soft-boiled eggs.
- Turn your boring soft-boiled eggs into brulee eggs and enjoy a delicious breakfast.
- Use it to finish off your fried rice along with vegetables and kimchi.
- Soft-boiled eggs perfectly complement a buttery and crunchy toast.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you reboil soft boiled eggs?”, and how to boil eggs to just the right extent along with the best recipes for parboiled eggs.