In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you plug a mini fridge into a surge protector” with an in-depth analysis of the issues related to the plugging of a mini-fridge into a surge protector. Moreover, we are going to highlight what is the reason for plugging a mini fridge into a surge protector, and what is a surge protector and how it works.
Can you plug a mini fridge into a surge protector?
Yes, you can plug a mini fridge into a surge protector but to remain on the safe side, you should not think of it as a good idea, especially for large-sized refrigerators. For mini-fridges, the use of a surge protector has been certified and can save your device against surges or spikes.
Problems with the use of surge protectors:
You may face some problems while using a surge protector for your fridge. The compressor of your fridge is sensitive to the temperature and current overloads due to which if it is exposed to such fluctuations, it will shut itself down immediately.
A surge protector may also have the ability to override the systems built up in a fridge and your fridge may not be able to restart if there is any power surge and eventually you may face unintentionally problems with the foods stored inside.
Reasons for using surge protector:
The main reason behind using a surge protector is to protect your appliances or devices from power surges. These surges are mainly caused by the fluctuations in electricity that can automatically be detected as well as handled by the surge protectors attached to these devices.
A power surge can happen due to connecting electronic devices with high powers, such as AC and refrigerators all together in the outlets. This may result in spikes to get enough current for their operations. Surges may also be produced as a result of malfunctioned electronic connections in the home.
A power surge is an increase in the voltage above the designated level, that is 120 volts, in an electricity flow. When the voltage fluctuates, especially increasing above this level, it can produce a power surge that can damage the appliances.
An electrical appliance that is used to protect the equipment and devices against power surges or voltage spikes, is known as a surge protector. It can also block the voltage over the safe designated level that is 120 volts. This high voltage can damage the appliances permanently, reduce the lifespan or working span of the devices, burn the wired, and cause the loss of initially installed data.
A surge protector is a long and thin piece of plastic with several receptacles for electronics to be plugged. It also contains a cord that can be plugged into a wall outlet. For a mini-fridge, a surge protector with a unit of up to 1000 joules is appropriate.
Working of a surge protector:
The use of many appliances and devices and the working of a lot of electrical lines can develop pressure on the hose that can eventually be damaged, if not protected by some external devices, such as surge protectors.
This pressure or high energy increases the voltage of the electrical lines and when the voltage reaches the standard point, 120V, the surge protector simply diverts this pressure. In this way, the current is regulated through the wires safely by using surge protectors.
Features of the surge protector:
Some of the characteristic features of a surge protector are as follows:
- A surge protector is unable to absorb the sudden surges as it is formed from an iron core that only transfers the alternating current power.
- A surge protector is typically a Zener diode that can protect the circuit against spikes. It also comes in a submerged form with a transient voltage suppression diode.
- A surge protector protects the devices against surges if the circuit breaker is not functioning properly.
- It can also provide a smooth electric flow to your appliances by removing the spikes and surges, just like a filter or bypass.
- Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV), present in the surge protector can also limit the excessive voltage.
- Some surge protectors also come up with a warranty package in which if your appliance connected to these surge protectors gets damaged, the company will be responsible and will compensate by repairing the surge protectors as well as the appliances attached to them.
- Nowadays, most appliances are designated to have these protective devices inside them to protect them from external spikes and surges.
You can find more about the surge protectors here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you plug a mini fridge into a surge protector” with an in-depth analysis of the reason and needs for plugging a mini fridge into a surge protector that is to protect the appliances or devices attached to them.
Moreover, we discussed what are the problems that may arise when you plug a mini fridge into a surge protector, what is a surge protector, how does it work, and what are the important characteristic features of a surge protector.