In this brief guide we will answer the question “can you peel potatoes before boiling them?” with an in depth analysis of the reason why potatoes can be peeled before boiling?. Along with this we will also discuss how peeling potatoes before and after boiling affects their texture, taste and nutritional composition and value.
Can you peel potatoes before boiling them?
Yes, you can peel potatoes before boiling them. There might occur some changes in the nutritional composition and nutritional value of potatoes when boiled without peeling as compared to the potatoes who are peeled off after they get boiled.
Nutritional profile of potatoes:
Potatoes belong to the underground tubers family and are rich in nutrients and minerals.
Potatoes are a rich source of carbohydrates. They contain plenty of starch content. 1/4th cup potatoes contain approximately 5 grams carbohydrates, 2-3 grams proteins and 2-3 grams fats. Quarter cup potatoes provide 80-100 kcals of energy.
Along with the macronutrients potatoes are a source of fiber and also contain prominent amounts of water content.
Micronutrients such as magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, Vitamin B complex are also present in potatoes.
Can you boil the potatoes with peel on?
Yes, you can boil the potatoes with peel on. This method is more recommended than boiling potatoes without peel because the peel prevents loss of many water soluble nutrients during boiling. Also retention of these nutrients within the potato pulp can enhance the taste and texture of these potatoes.
How to boil potatoes with peel on?
- First take the desired quantity of potatoes.
- Wash them thoroughly with water to remove dirt.
- Place them in a saucepan or container.
- Fill the container with water, plenty enough to soak all the potatoes.
- Place the container on the stove and turn on the heat.
- Let the water heat up at medium to high flame until bubbles start to form.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt in the boiling water.
- Let the potatoes boil at medium heat until the peel starts to wither off or check them with spatula or knife, if tender enough.
- If potatoes are soft enough, turn off the flame.
- Remove the water from the container.
- Peel off the boiled potatoes.
- Now you can use them in any dish you want, your boiled potatoes are ready.
Is boiling time reduced when potatoes are peeled before boiling?
Yes, boiling potatoes after peeling them can reduce the boiling time. But this can evacuate most of the nutrients from them leaving them nutritionally drained. Boiling without peel can reduce the minerals and vitamin content of these potatoes.
Other FAQs about Potatoes which you may be interested in.
How much more time does it take to boil potatoes without prior peeling?
Boiling potatoes without removing their peels can take only a few more minutes to boil. Peel makes it a bit difficult for the heat to penetrate into the potato that is why a bit longer cooking time is required by the potatoes to get completely boiled.
Does cutting raw potatoes without peeling them affect the boiling time?
Yes, cutting the potatoes into halves can reduce the boiling time. You can also dice or slice potatoes before putting them in water for boiling.
How to boil potatoes by peeling them before boiling?
By following the given steps you can boil potatoes by removing their peels before boiling:
- Take the required quantity of potatoes you want to boil.
- Wash them thoroughly with water to remove any dust and dirt.
- Soak them in water to make sure all the dirt has been removed.
- With the help of a knife or a scraper, peel off or scrape the potatoes.
- Once you are done, again wash the potatoes.
- Take a container and fill in plenty of water to soak all the potatoes.
- It is better to cut the potatoes in half to make them boil quickly.
- Put the potatoes in water and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Let the water boil initially at medium to high flame.
- When bubbles start coming to the surface of water, slow down the flame.
- Let the potatoes boil for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Check if the potatoes are soft.
- If appropriately tender, turn off the flame and remove the container from the stove.
- Take out all the potatoes from water.
- Dish them out and use them.
You can read how to make stuffed potato cutlets here.
What should you do when in need of urgently boiling the potatoes?
If you are in urgent need of boiling potatoes for use in any dish then you boil them by removing the peel before boiling. It is better to cut them in small chunks to reduce boiling time.
In this brief guide we have answered the question “can you peel potatoes before boiling them?” with an in depth analysis of the reason why potatoes can be peeled before boiling?. Along with this, we have also discussed how peeling potatoes before and after boiling affects their texture, taste and nutritional composition and value.