In this brief guide, we will answer the question “can you make fried rice with fresh rice?” with an in-depth analysis of the reason, how to make the fried rice with fresh rice? Moreover, we will also discuss other methods of making fried rice along with discussing whether fried rice made from fresh rice is better or worse than other fried rice?
Can you make fried rice with fresh rice?
Yes, you can use fresh rice for making fried rice. So long as you spread the rice out on a plate or tray while it’s still hot and give it a few minutes to allow some surface moisture to evaporate, you can make excellent fried rice with fresh rice. Apart from being used for making fried rice, fresh rice does not always have great texture.
Why can’t you use fresh rice for fried rice?
Day-old rice makes excellent fried rice (stored at least 12 hours are ideal) but it tends to clump. Internally it is dryer than fresh rice which makes stir-frying a bit more difficult because you have to be faster to ensure the rice does not dry out.
How do you dry out rice for fried rice?
Make a batch of rice and spread it in a thin layer on a sheet tray. Put the tray in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes (this keeps the grains from clumping), then portion out the rice into individual freezer bags. Freeze for a couple of hours and dry rice is ready for frying.
Can you fry uncooked rice?
You can’t fry uncooked rice and expect it to come out soft, some kind of liquid has to be added to make it edible. It is called pilaf, not exactly like the Asian style of fried rice, but also delicious. You fry the rice & onions first then add a soup stock to cook the rice in.
What makes Chinese fried rice taste so good?
The browning comes from the natural browning of the ingredient, such as garlic, onion, etc. Brown the ingredient before adding rice will brown the rice. Most real Chinese restaurants flavor their fried rice with chicken broth or stock or powder.
Do you need cold rice for fried rice?
Use cold rice when you have got a plan ahead and use thoroughly chilled cooked rice. A fresh batch of warm (or even lukewarm) rice will not fry well when it hits the hot pan and will result in soggy and sticky clumps. So leftover refrigerated rice is ideal for making fried rice.
Other FAQs about Rice which you may be interested in.
How long should rice sit before making fried rice?
Use a fork to fluff the rice grains and transfer them to a large baking tray. Place the rice, uncovered, in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (overnight is best though) before using it for fried rice.
How to make fried rice:
- Preheat the skillet. Turn your skillet to medium-high heat and pour sesame oil into the bottom of your skillet and add the onion, peas, and carrots. Fry this until they are tender.
- Slide the veggies to the side. Pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Use a spatula to scramble the eggs. Mix them with the vegetables.
- Add the rice. Combine it with the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top and stir until it is heated throughout. Garnish with green onions.
Tips for making Fried Rice:
- Cold rice or day-old rice is best. This helps to prevent and keep the rice from sticking together and getting mushy. It does not have to be cold, but it is best to have day-old rice instead of fresh rice.
- Scramble the egg in the same pan. To save on dishes you can just slide the veggies to one side and pour the egg on the other side. Scramble the egg with a spatula and then combine with the vegetables.
- Use Jasmine or long grain rice. Using long-grain rice will produce the best results and is most commonly used.
- Use Sesame oil. For the authentic flavor, this is a MUST! Sesame oil has a distinctive nutty aroma that brings the flavors together in this dish.
- Soy sauce is your best friend. Little to a lot is all up to you. Don’t be afraid to go wild or stay true to the recipe. You will enjoy the extra flavoring soy sauce has to offer mixed with veggies and rice.
- Cook the veggies and egg in the same pan. This is my favorite trick to making this recipe all in one pan. As soon as the veggies are tender just slide them over to the side, pour the eggs onto the other side, and scramble.
You can read about different types of rice here.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question “can you make fried rice with fresh rice?” with an in-depth analysis of the reason, how to make the fried rice with fresh rice? Moreover, we have also discussed other methods of making fried rice along with discussing whether fried rice made from fresh rice is better or worse than other fried rice?