In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you get sick from eating raw eggs” with an in-depth analysis of health implications associated with the consumption of raw eggs. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to reduce the risk of Salmonella infection from raw eggs.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Can you get sick from eating raw eggs?
Consumption of a raw egg has some potential threats associated with it and that includes Salmonella which is mostly present on the eggshell but sometimes can also be present inside the egg.
Salmonella can cause Salmonella infection and various other health issues if consumed.
Salmonella infection from consuming raw eggs is associated with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.
Diarrhea is an indication of the body that a certain obnoxious agent has entered it.
Salmonella infection is characterized by abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is also accompanied by vomiting and nausea in most cases. Nausea and vomiting which is the natural defense of the body to get rid of the unwanted harmful substance that has entered the body.
Consuming a raw egg can also raise your body temperature and you can experience fever which is the natural defense mechanism of your body and is the indicator that something is off with your body.
It is worth mentioning that according to the FDA, the symptoms of Salmonella infection appear 12 to 72 hours after the consumption of the contaminated food.
Moreover, consumption of raw eggs is also associated with the blockage of biotin absorption in the body. Egg yolk contains a good amount of biotin (vitamin B7), which is an important vitamin that plays an important role in the production of fatty acids and glucose.
But the raw eggs have a certain protein called avidin that binds the biotin in the small intestine, thus it halts the biotin absorption in the body. On the other hand, cooking an egg destroys this particular protein, thus the biotin in the egg yolk is absorbed in the body in this case.
It is worth mentioning that no doubt the raw egg decreases biotin absorption in the body but it cannot create biotin deficiency in any way.
You can even die from eating raw eggs.
Who should not eat raw eggs?
Certain vulnerable populations are at a higher risk of contracting serious food-borne illnesses and therefore they should refrain from eating raw eggs. They are
- Elderly people especially those that are above the age of 65
- Children that are aged under 5 as their immune system is weak as compared to the adults
- Pregnant women
- Immunocompromised people have a very weak immune system and are already suffering from diseases like HIV or the people that have recently got a transplant or have gone through surgery.
Nutritional value of eggs
Eggs are extremely nutritious. They contain many essential nutrients that are required for the proper growth and functioning of the body.
Not only are they a rich source of protein but they also contain a lot of other important nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats.
A medium-sized raw egg contains about 72 calories. It contains about 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.
If we talk about the micronutrients present in an egg, an egg contains vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B5, and vitamin B12. It also contains a variety of minerals like phosphorus, selenium, and folate. Moreover, the raw egg also contains choline that is a chemical that helps in stimulating brain activity.
Raw eggs also have zeaxanthin and lutein present in their formulation. Both of them are really good anti-oxidants and play an important role in improving eye health.
Thus an egg is a perfect food to eat that provides you with a lot of high-quality protein and good fats.
Other FAQs about Eggs which you may be interested in.
How to reduce the chances of getting Salmonella infection from eggs?
You should consider the following tips while buying and storing eggs to reduce the chances of Salmonella infections to some extent.
- Do not buy eggs that have cracks in them.
- It is better to buy pasteurized eggs and egg products.
- The eggs should be refrigerated promptly at about 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook egg dishes till they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit or above.
- Make sure that the foods that contain raw or lightly cooked eggs such as tiramisu, hollandaise sauce, etc. should be made using pasteurized eggs.
- Refrigerate the cooked eggs or the foods containing eggs promptly. Never leave cooked eggs or products containing eggs for more than 2 hours at room temperature (1 hour if the outside temperature is 90 degrees Fahrenheit or above).
- Wash hands, the utensils, and the kitchen counter that comes in contact with raw eggs.
You can read 10 health benefits of eating eggs here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you get sick from eating raw eggs” with an in-depth analysis of health implications associated with the consumption of raw eggs. Moreover, we discussed tips to reduce the risk of Salmonella infection from raw eggs.