Can you get sick from eating ice cream?
In this article, we are going to answer the question, “can you get sick from eating ice cream”?
Can you get sick from eating ice cream?
No, eating ice cream alone is not enough to make one fall sick. Many people always associate eating ice cream with getting a cold, however, colds are caused by viruses, not by eating cold edibles like ice cream.
However, it is important to remember that eating ice cream after becoming infected by a cold or flu virus can aggravate symptoms. This is because consuming dairy products like ice cream can increase the build-up of phlegm, leading to nasal congestion.
Also, it is important to take certain precautions while eating ice cream to make sure the ice cream has not been contaminated by any virus or bacteria. Listeria is a bacteria that is known to infect food and cause food poisoning. Many incidents have been reported in which ice cream that was infected by Listeria caused extreme cases of food poisoning, even leading to death.
Benefits of eating ice cream:
- Eating ice cream can make you happier. Consuming ice creams can lead to an increase in the hormone serotonin, which can boost moods and make one happier.
- Ice creams serve as a high-calorie snack and provide energy, especially to those people who are sick and unable to eat anything else.
- Because of their calcium and phosphorus content, eating ice creams can prove beneficial for the buildup of stronger bones.
- Following a high intensity muscle workout, eating ice creams can help in promoting muscle gain because of the sugar content in them. High sugar content raises the insulin level, preventing protein breakdown for up to 2 hours post workout.
- Ice creams can be good news for women, who are suffering from infertility. Ice creams are a form of high-fat dairy, consuming which has been known to reduce infertility in women by around 30%.
- Consuming ice creams can help relieve pain and soothe cases of sore throat as well as tooth extraction. The cold ice cream helps in reducing the swelling in both cases, by acting as a cold compress.
Harmful effects of eating too much ice cream:
- As they are high in saturated fat and cholesterol, eating ice cream on a regular basis can be harmful for the heart. It can increase chances of a heart attack.
- Eating too much ice cream can also lead to obesity, in the absence of a healthy diet and exercise.
- Ice creams can become an addiction. People fall prey to emotional eating when stressed and often resort to foods with high sugar content such as ice creams to boost their mood and feel happier. This, if done regularly, can gradually become an addiction.
- Eating too much ice cream can affect cognitive skills and memory. This is due to the high content of saturated fat and sugar in them which can clog arteries and affect the nervous system.
- As they are high in fat, eating ice creams is not favorable at night, because they take longer to digest, consequently cause bloating and affect the sleep cycle.
- Eating ice creams can be a cause of concern for those who suffer from lactose intolerance. They can experience bloating and other digestion issues.
Tips to prevent getting sick after eating ice cream:
- Eating ice creams with less sugar: Eating ice cream does not cause cold because of the temperature, rather, an already infected person’s symptoms can aggravate further because of the high content of sugar found in ice creams. This is because viruses that cause cold thrive on sugar, getting energy from them to become more active.
- Drinking lukewarm water after eating ice cream: This helps in washing away or dissolving any remaining sugar crystals that may have deposited on the teeth or in gums, preventing infection that can lead to a cold.
- Drinking cinnamon water and/or ginger tea following an episode of eating ice cream can help relieve or prevent buildup of mucus.
- Never refreeze ice cream after it has begun to melt. This is because melted, liquidy, milky ice cream serves as a perfect spot for the growth of food poisoning bacteria like Listeria. This can initiate contamination of the ice cream, which when eaten can cause serious cases of food poisoning.
- Do not dip the same spoon in a big ice cream jar twice, unless you plan to finish the whole ice cream then. This is because double dipping can contaminate the ice cream in the jar with the bacteria from our mouth.
In this article, we have answered the question, “can you get sick from eating ice cream?” and have also provided tips to follow after eating ice cream to avoid getting sick.