In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you get sick from eating expired Doritos” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can get sick from eating expired Doritos. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store Doritos and what you can do with stale Doritos.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Can you get sick from eating expired Doritos?
When it comes to Doritos, you do not necessarily get sick from eating expired Doritos as long as they were stored appropriately.
Doritos do not have enough moisture in them therefore they do not provide suitable media for microbes to grow. Moreover, the high salt content of the Doritos also plays a significant role in preserving the quality of the Doritos for a long time.
So no doubt Doritos can still be eaten once they go past the date printed on them but you will feel a change in its texture and flavor so as long as you are okay with it, you can eat the expired Doritos, it won’t make you sick.
You should consider the smell, taste, and texture of the Doritos to reach a final verdict whether or not you are going to eat them.
- If you notice a rancid or unpleasant smell while taking a sniff test of your Doritos, it means that your Doritos have expired and gone rancid.
- Moreover, you can notice a change in the taste of your Doritos once they have gone rancid.
- Last but not least the Doritos that are long past the “best before” date can have a significant change in texture, they lose their crunch, and can become stale.
It is worth mentioning that instead of the “expiration date”, you will find a “best by” or “best before” date written on the packet of Doritos. The “best by” or “best before” date that is written on the pack of Doritos refers to more of quality rather than safety so the Doritos don’t necessarily go bad immediately after the best before date.
This date refers to the time during which you can enjoy the peak quality and flavor of the Doritos but you can still eat Doritos that are past this date as long as they were stored properly.
Unopened Doritos last for about 3-4 weeks past the printed date if they are stored in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
Opened Doritos last for about 5-7 days if it is stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in a cool, dry and dark corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of Doritos and Doritos can even last longer than this provided that it is stored properly.
Tips to properly store Doritos
- Doritos should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. Therefore you can safely store the Doritos in a cool and dry corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Once you have opened the packet of Doritos, you should transfer the rest of the Doritos in an air-tight container or resealable plastic zipper bag. It is necessary to store the Doritos this way so that no air and moisture will find their way to the Doritos and degrade their quality.
- If you want to store the Doritos in the original packaging after it gets opened, what you can do is to tightly roll over the packaging and use a clip to seal the opening.
- You should close the lid of the container as soon as you are done getting out the number of Doritos that you need.
- You should never store your Doritos in a humid environment.
What to do with stale Doritos?
So if your Doritos are just stale but smell fine, what you can do is to take a baking tray and spread the Doritos on it. Afterward, put the tray with Doritos in the oven that is preheated at about 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake the Doritos for about 10 minutes and you can just devour the Doritos afterward. It is worth mentioning that it is better to check the Doritos every 3-4 minutes after putting them in the oven and once they reach their ideal crunch, you can go ahead and eat them.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you get sick from eating expired Doritos” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can get sick from eating expired Doritos. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store Doritos and what you can do with stale Doritos.