In this article, we will answer the question “Can you fry in an instant pot?”, and what type of foods you should never cook in your instant pot?
Can you fry in an instant pot?
If you are talking deep frying and pressure frying, then the answer is no. but instant pot can be used for pan frying or sauteing with a little oil.
Instant pot, like the other electric pressure cooker, does not achieve high enough temperatures that could boil oil. If you risk pressure frying in an instant pot, the result is fires, toxic fumes, and even explosions.
Similarly, an instant pot can not deep fry foods. If you try to fill the instant pot with oil and try to boil it, chances are the pot will get scorched and may catch fire in some cases.
The safety features of an instant pot are not equipped to handle safety hazards that are unrelated to water or steam.
How to make fried chicken in an instant pot?
- 1 1/2 tsp mild paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (8-10 ounces)
- Vegetable oil or shortening for frying
- In a bowl or plate, add all the spices and mix until homogenous. With the help of a paper towel, pat-dry the chicken thighs. Then roll the chicken piece in the spice mixture until the coating is uniform.
- Add water to the cooker. Set a heat- and pressure-safe trivet in the pot. Pile the thighs on the trivet. Screw the lid onto the cooker.
- If you are using a Max Pressure cooker, press Pressure cook on Max pressure for about 10 minutes whilst keeping the ‘Keep Warm’ setting off. If not, Press Steam or Pressure Cook (Manual) on High pressure for about 15 minutes whilst keeping the ‘Keep Warm’ setting off.
- Release the pressure of the cooker using the quick-release method. Open the lid.
- Transfer the hot chicken thighs using tongs to a large-lipped baking tray lined with paper towels.set aside for about 20 minutes until dry.
- Fill a 12-inch skillet with about ½ inch deep oil or shortening. Melt It until It shimmers.
- Place the thighs side down into the oil. Fry each side for 10 minutes or until golden and crips form both sides. Repeat the process for other thigh pieces. Add oil to make the level up to ½ inch deep.
- Transfer the fried chicken thighs to a cooling rack and season with salt.
What type of foods you should never cook in your instant pot?
Irrespective of the setting of the instant pot, dairy products like cheese, milk and sour cream will curdle in an instant pot. Avoid making any dairy based dish in the instant pot or add at the very end.
Exceptions are yogurt and cheesecake which you can make in an instant pot If you are following the recipe specified for the pot.
Pasta boiled in the instant pot will turn mushy, gummy or will come out cooked unevenly which is not something you want. So opt for boiling the pasta in a pot on the stovetop instead.
Two recipes at once
Cooking a side dish along with the main dish in the instant pot is a big no. The two recipes require different temepartures to cook properly. Therefore, despite It sounding tempting, you should never cook your roast wtih potatoes and carrots in an instant pot.
Instant pot is not equipped with giving you a cake with a nice crust. The cake will be steam cooked so It will be moist but the results won’t be the same. However, other desserts like pudding work best with instant pot.
Canning involves heating the jars and food under pressure to ensure safe canned food. Though instant pot ha pressure cooking abilities, It doesn’t provide high enough temepartures to ensure that the jars are free form botulinum spores.
You cannot get those charred grilled marks on your steak in an instant pot. Use a cast-iron grill pan instead.
Fish, oysters, shrimp, muscles and clams are too delicate for them to be subjected to pressure cooking or slow cooking modes. If these types of seafood are not cooked at the right temperature for the right time, they will turn mushy.
However, If you have a good recipe especially made for squid and octopus, they can be cooked in the instant pot.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you fry in an instant pot?”, and what type of foods you should never cook in your instant pot?