In this brief guide, we will answer the following query, “can you freeze nuts?” We will discuss the proper ways to freeze nuts. We will also get to know the benefits of freezing nuts along with the harms of eating frozen nuts.
Can you freeze walnuts?
Yes, you can freeze walnuts. Like any other nut, walnuts can be frozen easily. Freezing increases the shelf life of walnuts. Keeping the walnuts at room temperature for a longer duration makes them go rancid.
If you are planning to store the walnuts for a longer duration then you need to freeze them. Freezing them will save them from getting spoiled.
What are the proper ways to freeze walnuts?
Walnuts can be frozen very easily. You just need to follow some simple tips to freeze the walnuts.
Freezing the walnuts increases their shelf life by almost a year. You have to always remove the shell of the walnut before freezing it.
The following tips are used to freeze the walnuts.
- The first step is to buy good quality walnuts that are nut chopped off and not rancid.
- You should also look for the bug infestation in the walnuts. Throw away the walnuts that have insect infestation they are not good to use.
- If you have shelled walnuts first you need to deshell them.
- You can freeze shelled walnuts but it would be more convenient to freeze and use walnuts without shells.
- Properly clean the walnuts and spread them in the tray and let them freeze for 2-3 hours in the freezer.
- If you want to store chopped walnuts you need to chop them first. Keep in mind to use clean utensils as a dirty knife or cutting board can contaminate the walnuts.
- You can make the portion sizes of the chopped walnuts and can store them in air-tight containers.
- You can also freeze them in the zip-lock bags and for this, you need to remove all the air from the bags. This will help to keep your walnuts fresh.
- Keep in mind not to wash your walnuts before freezing. They will get soggy and no one likes to eat soggy nuts.
- When you are ready to eat them just thaw them at room temperature and they are good to use.
- Frozen walnuts are not very pleasant to eat as they lose their crunch after being thawed.
- You can use your frozen walnuts in many recipes like pies, cereals, cakes, pastries, etc.
What are the pros of freezing walnuts?
Following are the pros of freezing walnuts:
- Freezing walnuts that are going bad decreases food waste. It is better to freeze the walnuts than to throw them away.
- Freezing increases the shelf life of the walnuts for upto 1 year.
- If you like walnuts then you can easily store them in your freezer and eat them whenever you want.
- If you are planning to make a meal in large quantities then chopping and freezing walnuts before time will save you your cooking time.
- Freezing walnuts saves them from microbial damage. The freezing temperature is not optimal for bacterial growth.
What are the cons of freezing walnuts?
Following are the cons of freezing walnuts:
- Your walnuts can get cross contaminated from the food items in the freezer. This cross-contamination can result in the deterioration of the walnuts.
- Walnuts absorb the smell very easily and in the freezer, they are likely to catch the smell of other foods. This way walnuts are not pleasant to eat and their taste is also changed.
- Walnuts get soggy when you reheat them in this way they are not crunchy anymore.
What are the health concerns of eating walnuts?
Excessive eating of everything is bad. Walnuts are a good source of fats, antioxidants, and some important vitamins and minerals. The excessive consumption of walnuts can lead to several health concerns.
- Although walnuts contain healthy fats, excessive intake of these fats can lead to weight gain and cardiovascular diseases. Walnuts are high-calorie foods. 100 g of walnuts contain 654 kcal.
You should keep the calories in mind while eating the walnuts. It can lead to excessive weight gain.
- Eating too many walnuts can cause stomach problems like diarrhoea, vomiting, and bloating. So always take your walnuts or any nut in portion sizes.
- Nut allergies are a very common type of allergy. Consuming walnuts can cause an allergic reaction. Some allergic attacks might be minor but some can be severe like anaphylaxis.
- Due to the presence of fibres in them, walnuts can aggravate certain ulcers in the stomach or small intestine.
In this brief guide, we answered the following query, “can you freeze nuts?” We discussed the proper ways to freeze nuts. We also got to know the benefits of freezing nuts along with the harms of eating frozen nuts.