In this article, we will answer the question “Can you freeze Taylor ham?”, and how to make a pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich?
Can you freeze Taylor ham?
Yes, you can freeze Taylor ham. Frozen Taylor ham has an indefinite shelf-life. But the sooner you use it, the better. Frozen Taylor ham is best eaten within 1-2 months of storage. After 1-2 months, the quality starts to deteriorate pretty quickly. Therefore, long stored Taylor ham may not be unsafe but it will not be of the best quality either.
What are Pork rolls and what are they made of?
Pork roll is a processed meat product developed by John Taylor of Trenton in the year 1856. Until about 1906, pork rolls were sold under the name of “Taylor’s Prepared Ham”. Later the meat industry adopted the term “Taylor ham” in compliance with the food labeling requirements.
Pork roll or Taylor ham is seasoned with different spices, salt, a sugar cure, and preservatives before being smoked and packaged. Pork roll, egg, and cheese is the classic breakfast choice in New Jersey, where it is served over a croissant, bagel, English muffin, or stuffed between any kind of bread such as Pan Frances.
What is the difference between Taylor ham and pork roll?
Taylor ham and pork roll are essentially the same product. The basic ingredients and recipe remain the same throughout the world, with certain variations as an adaptation to the specific region of the world.
New Jersey calls it Taylor ham while it is referred to as pork roll in South Jersey and Philadelphia.
How to make pork roll, egg, and cheese?
- 4 slices pork roll, such as Taylor (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 kaiser rolls, split in half and toasted
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- Ketchup, for serving
- Make about 1-inch long, 3-4 shallow cuts, on the edges of the pork roll. This will keep the edges of the pork roll flat during cooking and prevent deformation.
- Melt 2 tbsp unsalted butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, add the pork roll slices and cook them until golden brown on both sides. This should take about 6 minutes.
- Remove the slices from the pan and stack them on each toasted roll bottom.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet. Let the eggs cook over medium heat. Break the egg yolks with the edge of a spatula to make sure they are cooked to the core. Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Flip the eggs and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Top off each browned pork roll slice with a single fried egg and a cheese quadrant. Finish with a tablespoon or two of ketchup or mayo on top. Other sauces like yum yum sauce, BBQ sauce, honey gold sauce, tartar sauce, etc are also great add-ins.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to store pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwiches?
In the fridge
Let the sandwich come down to room temperature before refrigerating. Then wrap each sandwich using a plastic sheet or cling film and put it in the fridge. For bonus protection, you can put the wrapped sandwich in an air-tight container. Use the refrigerated pork roll sandwich within 3 days of storage.
In the freezer
It is not recommended to freeze pork roll sandwiches. It is best eaten fresh. Freezing significantly ruins the quality of the sandwich and also threatens the safety of the product.
However, if you are determined to freeze the pork roll sandwich for whatever reason, you can follow the same steps as used for refrigerating a pork roll sandwich. Frozen pork roll sandwiches are best consumed within 3 months.
How to reheat pork roll sandwiches?
In the oven
- Preheat the oven to 250℉.
- Reheat the pork roll sandwiches in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
In the air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 250℉.
- Put the pork roll sandwich in the air fryer basket and reheat for about 1 minute or until heated through.
In the microwave
- Take the pork roll sandwich out of its plastic wrap. Then place it in a microwave-safe dish or plate.
- Microwave for about 5 minutes or until heated through. Check after 30-second intervals to prevent burning your sandwich.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you freeze Taylor ham?”, and how to make a pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich?