Can you freeze sour cream?
In this brief guide, we address the question, “can you freeze sour cream” as well as other questions pertaining to the subject at hand like how can you freeze sour cream and what are the ideal storage practices to prolong the shelf life of your sour cream?
Can you freeze sour cream?
Yes, you can freeze sour cream. Sour cream can last for as long as 6 months in the freezer. We’ve all been there where we bought sour cream for a small recipe and now the rest is just extra. What to do with that remaining sauce? Throw it?
The answer is simple. You just put it in the freezer and store it for the next time you’re craving similar food items. Storing the sour cream in a freezer sounds like an excellent idea until you finally do it.
The next problem that you face will be the loss of texture and that creamy texture of sour cream when you take it out of the freezer. Now let’s be real about this, there is no way you can keep the sour cream as fresh as it was when you first opened it.
How to freeze sour cream?
You can freeze sour cream by following these simple instructions and you’ll be on your merry way to utilize this product in the best way you can.
- Whisk: Before you freeze, make sure to give it a good whisk in order to make the texture even.
- Portion the product: It is always a good idea to freeze items in small portions so that you don’t open and expose unnecessary items to the environment. You can use different sized containers to store different portion sizes and use them as per your ease.
Using this approach, you will also leave no room for leftovers, thereby, eliminating all chances of having to freeze it again when used once.
- Make sure sour cream is isolated: In order to ensure maximum shelf-life, make sure your product is isolated in an airtight container. You can also use aluminum foil to cover the dishes that do not come with an airtight cover.
- Use a resealable plastic bag: If you don’t have small containers available then you can simply use an ice tray. Be sure to cover the ice tray in the freezer and leave them overnight. Once you have small chunks of sour cream, you can put them in a resealable plastic bag and put them in the freezer. Make sure that you draw extra air out before sealing the bag.
Other FAQs about Sour Cream which you may be interested in.
Can you get sick from eating expired sour cream?
How long does sour cream last in the fridge?
How long does sour cream last?
How to thaw frozen sour cream
There are various ways you can do this. Keep in mind that thawing is an important process when it comes to dairy products like sour cream. If thawing is not done in a proper manner, the sour cream may lose its consistency and the texture will change altogether rendering the sour cream unfavourable to consume.
The best method to thaw sour cream is to do it overnight in a fridge.
- Thawing in the fridge: It can take anywhere between 2 to 8 hours depending on the portion sizes of the sour cream. This is the safest method because drastic changes in temperature can affect the texture and taste of the sour cream if not done under controlled conditions.
- If you are in a hurry and cannot wait to thaw it, you don’t have to worry. There are dishes that do not require thawing, simply because the preparation will take care of that. For dishes like soup or stew, it is better to just add a chunk of frozen sour cream and let the cooking process take care of it. Dishes like these do not require sour cream to have a perfect texture. Don’t worry about the flavour because it won’t change one bit.
How to use frozen sour cream?
There are various recipes where you can use frozen sour cream. It is important to note that frozen sour cream, even after thawing properly should not be used as a dip or to pour on top for dressing, because freezing does indeed change the texture.
If you’re okay with the texture and care about the taste, then it shouldn’t be a problem for you. It is all a matter of personal preferences. You can try to thaw a small portion (that is why small portion sizes are always advised), whisk it properly before using it as a dip and then decide for yourself.
Here are some dishes where you can use frozen sour cream
- Baked potato casserole
- Classic mashed potatoes
- Mashed potatoes with canned potatoes
- Whipped dip
- Hashbrown Casserole
You can read more about these recipes here
In this brief guide, we addressed the question, “can you freeze sour cream” as well as other questions pertaining to the subject at hand like how can you freeze sour cream and what are the ideal storage practices to prolong the shelf life of your sour cream.
Can You Freeze Sour Cream? (Before & After Pics)