In the following guide we will discuss the question, “can you freeze shredded cheese?” We will discuss the proper ways to freeze shredded cheese. We will get to know the health benefits of eating cheese. We will also discuss the health concerns of eating frozen shredded cheese.
Can you freeze shredded cheese?
Yes, it is possible to freeze shredded cheese. You can freeze any kind of shredded cheese. Freezing the shredded cheese will not change texture or taste if it is properly stored. If you are worried that your cheese will go bad then you should keep it in the freezer.
Keeping the cheese in the freeze increases its shelf life by up to 6-8 months. Prepackaged shredded cheese is also available in the market and it already has the expiration date mentioned on it. Do not freeze it after this expiration date.
What types of cheese can be frozen?
You can freeze any kind of cheese and it will not alter the taste and texture of cheese. Any type of hard cheese is good for freezing and they are quite easy to freeze.
On the other hand, soft cheeses are not easy to freeze and store as they do not go well in the freezer.
They might change their taste and texture once they are frozen and freezing can crystallise the liquids present in the soft cheese. The following types of cheese can be frozen easily.
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Blue cheese
- Parmesan cheese
Following are some soft and semi-soft types of cheese that are not suitable for freezing.
- Cream cheese
- Stilton cheese
- Goat cheese
- Ricotta cheese
What are the proper ways to freeze shredded cheese?
Cheese can easily go bad if left outside; it should be kept in the freezer or refrigerator. By keeping it in the freezer its shelf life will increase.
You can only shred hard cheese. To properly freeze shredded cheese, follow the steps below:
- For this, you need to keep your cheese in the freezer in an airtight container and it can go for upto 2 months without getting spoiled.
- Always use clean hands and clean utensils to handle your cheese when you are freezing it.
- If you are freezing store-buying shredded cheese then you need to put them out of their bags and transfer them into airtight bags before freezing them.
- If you are shredding your cheese at home use a clean shredder and shred the cheese.
- After this spread the cheese on the tray and put it in the freezer until it becomes hard.
- If you put freshly shredded cheese in the box or bag it will clump together.
- To avoid this you need to freeze it a little in the tray and once it becomes solid you can transfer it to the zip lock bags and air-tight boxes.
- Do not forget to tightly pack the zip lock bags and remove all the air from the ziplock bags.
- Always maintain the temperature of the freezer to avoid spoilage.
What are the benefits of freezing shredded cheese?
Following are the benefits of freezing shredded cheese:
- Shredding and freezing your cheese will save your cooking time. This is also a meal preparation technique that saves time when you are cooking in bulk.
- Freezing shredded cheese decreases food spoilage and loss because storing it in the freezer increases its shelf life for upto many months.
- Freezing reduces the microbial spoilage of the cheese which spoils the cheese.
Does eating cheese give any health benefits?
Eating cheese can have the following health benefits:
- Cheese contains a good amount of B vitamins. It is rich in vitamin B6 and B12, by eating vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that is not formed by the body. Vitamin B12 helps in the functioning of nerve cells and is a major part of DNA synthesis.
- Vitamin B12 is linked to making the mood better and research proves that it can help treat depression.
- Cheese is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D. The diet high in calcium and vitamin D helps maintain the health of bones and teeth. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
What are the harmful effects of eating frozen shredded cheese?
Following are the harmful effects of eating frozen shredded cheese:
- Cheese is a dairy product and just like any other dairy product it goes bad easily and in less time. If the outer layer of your cheese turns its colour then it means it has gone bad and you need to throw it out. Mould growth is a major concern to the safety of cheese.
- Sometimes cheese gets cross-contaminated with the other food in the freezer if it is not kept in air-tight containers. This will cause the pathogens to grow in the cheese.
In the above guide we discussed the question, “can you freeze shredded cheese?” We discussed the proper ways to freeze shredded cheese. We got to know the health benefits of eating cheese. We also discussed the health concerns of eating frozen shredded cheese.