In the following text we will be discussing the following question, “Can you freeze pizza?” We will discuss the proper ways to store pizza. We will also get to know if there are any health concerns about eating frozen pizza.
Can you freeze pizza?
Yes, you can freeze the pizza. Freezing pizza increases its shelf life for upto 2 months. The main reason to freeze your pizza is to increase its shelf life. Pizza goes bad easily when it is kept at room temperature.
Due to the presence of highly perishable ingredients in pizza, it also goes bad easily in the refrigerator. If you are storing your pizza for a long time and you do not want to spoil your pizza then you need to keep it in the freezer.
What are the proper ways to freeze pizza?
You can freeze your leftover pizza or you can also freeze the half-cooked pizza. Yes, you can easily make pizza at home and after pre-cooking it you can freeze it in the freezer, this will save you time and effort when you need it.
If you are planning a dinner for many people then this freezing technique will work and you can easily prepare a large number of pizzas on the same day.
Pizza can be stored in the freezer for this you need to follow certain steps. If you are making pizza at home then you should normally prepare it according to your recipe.
If you are freezing store or restaurant-bought pizza then you should right away freeze it after it cools down once.
Storing half-cooked pizza
- Use hygienic and clean utensils while preparing your pizza at home.
- Wash your hands before handling your food to avoid cross-contamination.
- Use good quality ingredients for your pizza.
- Keep an eye on the expiration date of your ingredients.
- When your pizza is ready to go in the oven just bake it for halftime and then let it cool.
- Put your pizza in the freezer for some hours when it gets solid and remove it from the freezer.
- Cover your pizza with the help of a food plastic sheet.
- Wrap an aluminium foil around your pizza to keep it fresh and retain its flavour.
- Now you can store it for 2 months.
- When you are ready to eat your pizza, put it out of the freezer and put it in the pizza tray.
- Put your pizza in the oven and bake it until it is well cooked.
- Remember you need to fully cook your pizza.
Storing leftover pizza
- When you are storing your leftover pizza you need to handle it with clean hands.
- Always keep your pizza in air-tight boxes and freeze it in the freezer.
- When you are ready to eat your pizza, put it out of the freezer and put it in the tray and microwave it for a few minutes. Your pizza is ready to eat.
What are the benefits of freezing pizza?
The benefits of freezing pizza are the following:
- Freezing the pizza will save you cooking time. Your pizza will be already cooked and you will need less time to prepare a meal.
- Storing your pizza at room temperature and you have the chance of contaminating it with food-borne pathogens. These pathogens can cause food poisoning and other food-borne illnesses.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen pizza?
The health concerns of eating frozen pizza are the following:
- Pizza contains cheese which is a dairy product and just like any other dairy product it goes bad easily and in less time. If the outer layer of your pizza turns its colour then it means it has gone bad and you need to throw it out. Mould growth is a major concern to the safety of cheese.
- Sometimes your pizza can get cross-contaminated with the other food in the freezer if it is not kept in air-tight containers. This will cause the pathogens to grow in the pizza.
- According to the CDC if the chicken in the pizza is not cooked properly you can get sick from eating it. It should also be stored in a regular refrigerated environment or in the freezer.
Chicken is present in the pizza which is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Chicken is a good source of B vitamins which are necessary for the body’s metabolism. Vitamin B complex also helps in the maintenance of many other body functions.
Vitamin B12 is linked to making the mood better and research proves that it can help treat depression.
Cheese is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D. The diet high in calcium and vitamin D helps maintain the health of bones and teeth. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
In the above text, we discussed the following question, “Can you freeze pizza?” We discussed the proper ways to store pizza. We also got to know if there are any health concerns about eating frozen pizza.