In this brief guide we will discuss the following query, “can you freeze oat milk?” We will discuss the proper ways to freeze oat milk. We will also get to know the benefits of freezing oat milk and the difference between oat milk and dairy milk.
Can you freeze oat milk?
Yes, you can freeze oat milk. Oat is non-dairy milk that is made from oats and it is the popular replacement for cow milk among vegans, lactose intolerant people, and people suffering from milk allergies.
Oat milk can be frozen and freezing increases its shelf life for upto 3 months. The shelf life of oat milk in the refrigerator is upto 7 days.
What is oat milk and how is it made?
Oat milk is made by simply dipping the oats in water and blending them in the water. This makes a white fine liquid. The process also includes the addition of enzymes in the oat mixture to break down the starch into simple sugars.
Oat milk is a popular alternative to cow milk for vegans nowadays. As the natural oat milk does not contain fat content, additional fats like sunflower oil or canola oil are added to the oat milk.
The question is if people are using it as the replacement for normal dairy milk then what are the nutritional differences between them?
|Dairy milk||Oat milk|
|Dairy milk has more energy in it. It has more calories. 1 cup of cow milk gives 150 kcal.||Oat milk is low in calories. 1 cup of oat milk gives 120 kcal.|
|The protein content of cow milk is more. 1 cup of cow milk contains about 8 g of proteins.||The protein content of oat milk is half as compared to cow milk. It has 4 g of proteins per 250 ml of milk.|
|Dairy milk contains natural saturated fats and its fat content is 8 g per 250 ml of milk.||Oat milk contains added canola or sunflower oil and it is also low in fat. 1 cup provides 5 g of fat.|
|Dairy milk is low in carbohydrates. One cup contains 12 g of carbohydrates.||The number of carbohydrates in oat milk is high. One cup contains 16 g of carbohydrates.|
|Dairy milk has no fibre.||Oat milk has some fibre content that comes from oats.|
|Dairy milk has its natural calcium in it.||Oat milk is fortified with calcium.|
|Dairy milk contains lactose and this can not be consumed by lactose intolerant people.||Oat milk is lactose-free making it perfect for lactose intolerant people.|
|People with milk allergies can not consume dairy milk.||Oat milk does not contain milk proteins so people with milk allergies can consume it as a replacement for normal milk.|
What are the proper ways to freeze oat milk?
You can freeze oat milk in its original boxes or you can also transfer them to a plastic bottle for storage. You should follow the following guidelines while freezing your oat milk.
- First of all, do not forget to see the expiry date of the milk before buying it. Buy the milk that has the longest expiry date.
- After bringing the milk cartons home, clean them properly with a clean towel. Wash the bottles properly if the milk is in plastic bottles.
- Store the plastic bottles as they are in the freezer.
- If you want to store milk in portion sizes then divide them into portion sizes and store them in glass bottles or plastic bottles.
- Keep them in the portion of the freezer where the temperature does not fluctuate because milk is very portable to spoilage.
- You can also freeze oat milk in the ice cube tray if you want to store it for your smoothie or if you want to add it to your cold coffee.
- Once the milk cubes are properly frozen transfer them to a zip lock bag and freeze them immediately.
- When you are ready to drink frozen milk just defrost it in the fridge or the microwave if you want to drink warm milk.
How can you use your frozen oat milk?
You can use your frozen oat milk in many ways.
- You can add frozen milk to teas and coffees.
- You can also add them to the smoothies that you are making for your breakfast. These smoothies may contain oats or any kind of fruit.
- Frozen oat milk can be used in desserts.
What are the benefits of freezing oat milk?
The benefits of freezing oat milk are the following:
- Freezing oat milk increases the shelf life of milk for upto 4 months. This means if you are a very busy person then you do not need to hustle every time to buy milk from the market.
- Freezing increases the availability of milk at your home. You do not need to worry if you can not find it in the supermarket. You always have stock at your home.
In this brief guide we discussed the following query, “can you freeze oat milk?” We discussed the proper ways to freeze oat milk. We also got to know the benefits of freezing oat milk and the difference between oat milk and dairy milk.