In this brief guide, we will be answering the question, “can you freeze mozzarella cheese.” as well as other questions pertaining to the subject at hand like how you can freeze mozzarella cheese and what are the uses and ideal storage practices to prolong the shelf life of your mozzarella cheese.
Can you freeze mozzarella cheese?
Yes, you can freeze mozzarella cheese. Like most of the dairy products and a variety of cheese, mozzarella cheese has a short shelf life. Freezing can extend the shelf life of mozzarella cheese up to nine (9) months.
Although mozzarella cheese is not best suited for freezing, yet it does not mean it is impossible. It may lose its texture and flavour during the freezing process.
Fresh mozzarella has a high water content, therefore you should avoid freezing it. Doing so may result in the formation of ice crystals. Freezing fresh mozzarella noticeably alters its texture, and the taste often suffers a bit too If freeze properly at ideal conditions freezing may not alter or affect its flavour and consistency greatly.
Freezing mozzarella depends on the type of cheese and its packaging. Generally, vacuum packaging is preferable for mozzarella storage. Mozzarella cheese is available shredded or in slices, and you can also buy soft, fresh mozzarella.
How to freeze shredded mozzarella cheese
You can store unopened mozzarella cheese in the freezer in its original packaging. The foil wrapping and cardboard box provide more than enough protection from freezer burn. If you have used your mozzarella cheese in your dish and are now left with an amount of it, then you can always go with the option of freezing it.
Note: Transfer the remaining cheese into an airtight container before freezing.
You can freeze mozzarella cottage cheese by following these simple instructions and you’ll be on your merry way to utilize this product in the best way you can.
- Dehydrate: Remove all the excess water (whey water) from mozzarella cheese by pressing it against a spoon and paper towels. This is the water that freezes and greatly affects the texture of your mozzarella and reduces its quality.
- Portion the product: It is always a good idea to freeze items in small portions so that you don’t open and expose unnecessary items to the environment. You can use different sized containers to store different portion sizes and use them as per your ease.
Using this approach, you will also leave no room for leftovers, thereby, eliminating all chances of having to freeze it again when used once.
- Make sure your mozzarella cheese is isolated: In order to ensure maximum shelf-life, make sure your product is isolated in an airtight container. You can also use aluminum foil to cover the dishes that do not come with an airtight cover.
- Use a resealable plastic bag: you can also store mozzarella cheese in a small portion in an ice tray. Once it has been stored in small cubes you can put them in a resealable plastic bag and put them in the freezer. Make sure that you draw extra air out before sealing the bag.
Other FAQs about Mozarella which you may be interested in.
How to thaw frozen mozzarella cheese?
There are various ways you can do this. Keep in mind that thawing is an important process when it comes to dairy products like mozzarella cheese. If thawing is not done in a proper manner, the mozzarella cheese may lose its consistency and the texture will change altogether rendering the cottage cheese unfavourable to consume.
The best method to thaw mozzarella cheese is to do it overnight in a fridge. This is the safest method because drastic changes in temperature can affect the texture and taste of the mozzarella cheese if not done under controlled conditions.
After thawing, consume it immediately because it is not advised to refreeze completely thawed mozzarella cheese.
How to use frozen mozzarella cheese?
There are various recipes where you can use frozen mozzarella cheese. If you are using defrosted fresh mozzarella balls, make sure you use them melted. You can use the frozen mozzarella cheese in dishes that involve cooking and baking. Mozzarella makes deliciously cooked and baked dishes, like casseroles, sandwiches and pizzas. We can melt it on soups for creamy flavour. Feta cheese is also the best ingredient to prepare scrambled eggs.
Here are some dishes where you can use frozen mozzarella cheese
- Chicken Mozzarella: Tasty Variation on Chicken Parmesan
- Marinated Baby Mozzarella Recipe
- Deconstructed Meatball Sandwich Casserole
- Classic Eggplant Parmesan
- Buttermilk Jalapeño Cornbread
You can read more about these recipes here.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “can you freeze mozzarella cheese.” as well as other questions pertaining to the subject at hand like how you can freeze mozzarella cheese and what are the uses and ideal storage practices to prolong the shelf life of your mozzarella cheese.