In this brief guide, we will answer the following query” can you freeze hummus?” we will know the proper ways of freezing hummus. We will also get to know how hummus is made and the benefits of keeping hummus in the freezer.
Can you freeze hummus?
Yes, you can freeze hummus. You can freeze homemade and store bought both types of hummus to increase their shelf life. Storing your hummus in the freezer increases its shelf life for upto 4 months. The shelf life of hummus is less in the refrigerator.
It can only be stored in the refrigerator for 1 week any time more than this will spoil your hummus.
What are the benefits of freezing hummus?
- Freezing increases the shelf life of the hummus.
- Freezing does not let the microbes grow in the hummus.
- Hummus is a highly perishable food and it goes bad easily when stored at room temperature.
- Freezing helps in the prevention of mould formation on the hummus which is one of the most common reasons for going bad.
How do you tell that your hummus has gone bad?
You can know whether hummus has gone bad or not by checking its smell. If you notice any rancid or sour smell, then it’s time to get rid of it. If there is a light tangy scent in plain hummus, then throw it out. This rancid smell is due to the spoilage of olive oil in the hummus.
- You can know about the spoilage of hummus by checking the texture of hummus. Hummus contains a smooth texture. If you notice any curdled texture of hummus, then immediately discard it. Because hummus has gone bad.
- You can check whether hummus has gone bad or not by checking its appearance. If you notice the presence of mold on the surface of hummus, then know that it is time to immediately discard it. Because hummus has gone spoiled. As harmful bacteria can grow due to the mold. By eating that hummus, you can become ill.
- If your hummus tastes sour then it means that it has gone bad and you have to immediately discard it. Eating sour hummus increases the chance of food-borne illnesses. You can get sick by eating this hummus.
What are the proper ways to freeze hummus?
Hummus can be stored easily in the freezer.
- Take clean airtight boxes and add hummus according to your portion size into the boxes.
- Close the lid of the box tightly and store it in the freezer.
- You can also store hummus in ziplock bags.
- You can easily defrost them at room temperature when you’re ready to eat them.
How do you prepare hummus?
Hummus is a low-calorie sauce option that is rich in magnesium, iron, and vitamin B6. Hummus is a popular dip originating from the middle east. And it is now eaten all over the world. Hummus is usually served as a side dish in many meals with pita bread.
Hummus can be prepared very easily at home for this you will be needing the following ingredients.
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Add chickpeas to a boiling water pot and add baking soda to them. Baking soda will make them softer. Boil them until they are well done and properly cooked.
- Add cooled chickpeas to the blender and blend them with tahini into a proper paste.
- Blend them until their texture becomes creamier and smooth.
- You can add some amount of ice-cold water to the hummus this will make your hummus fluffy and light.
- Add the required amount of lemon juice and garlic to your paste and let them blend.
- Add powdered cumin to the hummus it elevates the taste of the hummus
- At the end add olive oil to the hummus. You can garnish your hummus with additional parsley and paprika.
- Your hummus is ready to eat and served with pita bread.
What are the health benefits of hummus?
Hummus provides a good amount of iron and magnesium that is very helpful for the human body. iron helps in the formation of red blood cells and it keeps the haemoglobin levels normal in the body.
Hummus is a good option for protein intake by vegetarians because it contains chickpeas which are a good source of plant protein. Proteins help in the functioning and maintenance of the human body.
Hummus contains olive oil which is very beneficial for heart health. It helps to lower cholesterol levels.
According to research fibres and essential minerals present in the hummus helps in the regulation of body glucose and they also help in weight management. Hummus contains vitamin E which comes from the tahini and it acts as an antioxidant in the body.
In this brief guide, we answered the following query: “Can you freeze hummus?” we got to know the proper ways of freezing hummus. We also got to know how hummus is made and the benefits of keeping hummus in the freezer.