In the following guide we will discuss the question, “can you freeze grated cheese?” We will discuss the proper ways to store grated cheese. We will get to know the health benefits of eating cheese. We will also discuss the health concerns of eating frozen grated cheese.
Can you freeze grated cheese?
Yes, it is possible to freeze grated cheese. You can freeze any kind of grated cheese. Freezing the grated cheese will not change texture or taste if it is properly stored.
If you are worried that your cheese will go bad then you should keep it in the freezer because cheese is an expensive food and you should not let it go to waste.
Keeping the cheese in the freeze increases its shelf life by up to 6-8 months. Prepackaged grated cheese is also available in the market and it already has the expiration date mentioned on it. Do not freeze it after this expiration date.
What are the types of cheeses?
There are so many types of cheese in the world. Cheese is a popular food all over the world. Here we will mention some of the major classifications of cheese.
Fresh cheese (without rind)
This type of cheese has no rind on it because they are not aged as much and they have a strong flavour of milk. These types of cheeses are often covered with herbs. Examples are mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
Soft cheese with a white rind
These are aged cheeses and they have a fresh creamy texture with a savoury aroma that gives creaminess to your dishes.
This type of cheese has a white outer covering which is made from penicillin mould and it helps in the ageing process. Examples are brie cheese and camembert.
This type of cheese is hardened to avoid it from getting dry. This type of cheese is hardened to gain its desired texture and shape. Parmesan and cheddar cheese are examples.
Cheese with added flavours
Ingredients like herbs and nuts are added to the hard cheeses in their making process to add flavours to them.
When the flavours are added at the start of the ageing process the cheese gets more flavorful and this method is good. An example of flavoured cheese is cumin gouda cheese.
Fresh cheese (aged)
These types of fresh cheese are soft and they have a green mould developed on their outer side. This mould enhances the flavour of the cheese. Examples are cottage cheese and mozzarella.
Blue (rough texture)
Blue cheese is made by adding blue penicillin into the milk and then after the curdling process, it gives a spicy taste and airy texture to the cheese. The spicy taste is due to the presence of blue mould in the cheese. Examples are Roquefort and stilton cheese.
What are the proper ways to store shredded cheese?
Cheese can go bad if left outside; it should be kept in the freezer or refrigerator. By keeping it in the freezer its shelf life will increase. You can only shred hard cheese.
- For this, you need to keep your cheese in the freezer in an airtight container and it can go for upto 2 months without getting spoiled.
- Always use clean hands and clean utensils to handle your cheese when you are freezing it.
- If you are freezing store-buying shredded cheese then you need to put them out of their bags and transfer them into airtight bags before freezing them.
- If you are shredding your cheese at home use a clean shredder and store it just like the above.
- Always maintain the temperature of the freezer to avoid spoilage.
What are the health benefits of eating cheese?
The health benefits of eating cheese are as under:
- Cheese contains a good amount of B vitamins. It is rich in vitamin B6 and B12, by eating vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin that is not formed by the body. Vitamin B12 helps in the functioning of nerve cells and is a major part of DNA synthesis.
- Vitamin B12 is linked to making the mood better and research proves that it can help treat depression.
- Cheese is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D. The diet high in calcium and vitamin D helps maintain the health of bones and teeth. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Cheese contains calcium, potassium, and protein which help in the maintenance of heart health. According to the research, it is proven that dairy fat is linked to lower cases of heart disease.
- People who are allergic to milk should be careful while eating foods that might contain any kind of cheese because due to their allergy to milk proteins they cannot consume cheese.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen grated cheese?
The health concerns of eating frozen grated cheese are as under:
- Cheese is a dairy product and just like any other dairy product it goes bad easily and in less time. If the outer layer of your cheese turns its colour then it means it has gone bad and you need to throw it out. Mould growth is a major concern to the safety of cheese.
- Sometimes cheese gets cross-contaminated with the other food in the freezer if it is not kept in air-tight containers. This will cause the pathogens to grow in the cheese.
In the above guide we discussed the question, “can you freeze grated cheese?” We discussed the proper ways to store grated cheese. We got to know the health benefits of eating cheese. We also discussed the health concerns of eating frozen grated cheese.