In the following guide we will discuss the question, “can you freeze gouda cheese?” We will discuss the proper ways to store gouda cheese. We will get to know the nutritional value and health benefits of eating gouda cheese. We will also discuss the health concerns of eating frozen gouda cheese.
Can you freeze gouda cheese?
Yes, it is possible to freeze gouda cheese. Freezing the gouda cheese will alter its texture and its flavour. Gouda is a hard and creamy cheese and freezing it will ruin its texture.
If you are worried that your cheese will go bad then you should definitely keep it in the freezer because it is an expensive cheese and you should not let it go to waste.
What is gouda cheese and how is it made?
Gouda cheese is made from cow’s milk and it first originated in the Netherlands. Gouda cheese contains a layer of rind on its outer side that is not edible.
- Gouda cheese is made on a commercial level from skim and whole milk. Enzyme activators are added to the milk to make the curd.
- Gouda cheese is prepared typically like other cheeses by adding the cheese to the culture.
- After the making cheese is left in the proper storage conditions to age.
- Gouda cheese typically ages four weeks. It can be kept for a longer duration and the cheese will taste better.
There are many types of gouda cheese that are being made all over the world. Every country produces brie cheese according to its taste and requirement.
What are the proper ways to freeze gouda cheese?
Gouda cheese can go bad if left outside; it should be kept in the freezer or refrigerator. By keeping it in the freezer its shelf life will increase.
- For this, you need to keep your cheese in the freezer in an airtight container and it can go for upto 2 months without getting spoiled.
- Take your cheese and cut it into suitable slices or pieces.
- Now put these slices in air-tight containers or ziplock bags, so that they do not get contaminated or get dry.
- Always use clean hands and clean utensils to handle your cheese when you are freezing it.
- Always maintain the temperature of the freezer to avoid spoilage.
What is the nutritional value of the brie cheese?
Gouda cheese is made from cow milk. Following nutrients are present in the 100 g of gouda cheese.
|Saturated fats||18 g|
|Vitamin B 12||25%|
What are the health benefits of eating gouda cheese?
The benefits of eating gouda cheese are as under:
- Gouda cheese is a good source of protein which helps in muscle building and also helps cellular maintenance. Eating a good amount of protein also helps in weight gain. People who are underweight can eat cheese this will help them to gain weight.
- Gouda cheese also contains a good amount of B vitamins. It is rich in vitamin B6 and B12, by eating 100 g of brie cheese you can get the 25% of your daily requirement of vitamin B12. This is an essential vitamin that is not formed by the body. Vitamin B12 helps in the functioning of nerve cells and is a major part of DNA synthesis.
- Vitamin B12 is linked to making the mood better and research proves that it can help treat depression.
- Gouda cheese is also a good source of calcium and vitamin D. The diet high in calcium and vitamin D helps maintain the health of bones and teeth. This reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Gouda cheese contains calcium, potassium, and protein which help in the maintenance of heart health. According to the research, it is proven that dairy fat is linked to lower cases of heart disease.
- People who are allergic to milk should be careful while eating foods that might contain any kind of cheese because due to their allergy to milk proteins they cannot consume cheese.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen gouda cheese?
Following are the health concerns of eating frozen gouda cheese:
- Cheese is a dairy product and just like any other dairy product it goes bad easily and in less time. If the outer layer of your cheese turns its colour then it means it has gone bad and you need to throw it out. Mould growth is a major concern to the safety of cheese.
- Sometimes cheese gets cross-contaminated with the other food in the freezer if it is not kept in air-tight containers. This will cause the pathogens to grow in the cheese.
In the above guide we discussed the question, “can you freeze gouda cheese?” We discussed the proper ways to store gouda cheese. We got to know the nutritional value and health benefits of eating gouda cheese. We also discussed the health concerns of eating frozen gouda cheese.