In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you freeze fresh mozzarella” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can freeze fresh mozzarella. Moreover, we are going to discuss the ways in which you can freeze different types of mozzarella cheese and ways to defrost mozzarella cheese.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Can you freeze fresh mozzarella?
- When it comes to fresh mozzarella cheese then freezing is not a good idea for it. If you freeze fresh mozzarella then it can result in the formation of the ice crystals in it that can mess up the quality and texture of your fresh mozzarella. Moreover, if you freeze the fresh mozzarella balls then after thawing you will not only see a noticeable difference in the texture (it becomes crumbly and dry) but you will also feel a difference in its flavor too. Therefore we do not recommend you freeze your fresh mozzarella. But if you still wanna go ahead with freezing your fresh mozzarella then you can only use it in the recipes that call for melted mozzarella.
- On the other hand, when it comes to mozzarella blocks, you can freeze them. All you gotta do is to cut them into slices and wrap them in plastic wrap before putting them in the plastic freezer bag.it is worth mentioning that you might notice a slight difference in the texture of the mozzarella block once it is thawed.
- In the case of the store-bought shredded mozzarella, it has already a long shelf life owing to the presence of certain preservatives in it. But if you still want to freeze it you can go ahead as you can easily store the shredded mozzarella in a plastic freezer bag in the freezer.
How to freeze mozzarella blocks?
So what you gotta do is to first cut the mozzarella blocks in the form of wedges or thin slices. The reason behind doing so is that you won’t have to thaw the whole mozzarella block when you just need some slices of cheese. Thus you will save your mozzarella from temperature fluctuations.
Now once you have sliced the mozzarella, you can do two things. You can either wrap the individual mozzarella wedges in the plastic wrap and afterward put in in the plastic freezer bag top store in the freezer or what you can do is to take a cookie sheet and place it in between mozzarella slices so that they won’t stick to each other and afterward put them in the plastic freezer bag.
How to freeze shredded mozzarella?
When it comes to storing shredded mozzarella in the freezer it is quite a simple job as all you need to do is to divide the shredded mozzarella into portions that you commonly need.
Afterward, put the mozzarella portions in different plastic freezer bags. Now you can keep them in the freezer.
How to freeze fresh mozzarella?
Before we can tell you the way to freeze fresh mozzarella, we are again telling you not to freeze it as freezing can mess up the texture of fresh mozzarella but if you still want to do it then follow these steps.
Firstly drain excess liquid from your fresh mozzarella balls. Afterward, you can cut the mozzarella balls into the required portion sizes. now individually wrap each portion of fresh mozzarella in the plastic wrap and afterward keep them in the plastic freezer bag. Seal the bag and keep it in the freezer.
How to defrost mozzarella?
- The first way that is most safe to use is to defrost your frozen mozzarella by keeping it in the fridge overnight.
- The other way that you can use is to defrost your frozen mozzarella in a bowl of cold water. It is recommended to use the mozzarella defrosted this way immediately.
- Last but not least if you have already divided the mozzarella into the portion that you need in the dish then you can add the frozen mozzarella directly to the dish while cooking, just don’t forget to adjust the cooking time for defrosting and warming up the frozen mozzarella.
How to use thawed mozzarella?
You can use the thawed mozzarella in almost everything. You can use it as a topping over your favorite pizza. You can add it to your casserole. You can use the mozzarella to give a creamy and thick consistency to your soups. You can even use thawed mozzarella slices for your baked goods like your sandwiches or paninis. You can add the grated mozzarella cheese over your scrambled eggs, frittatas, etc.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you freeze fresh mozzarella” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can freeze fresh mozzarella. Moreover, we discussed the ways in which you can freeze different types of mozzarella cheese and ways to defrost mozzarella cheese.