In this brief guide, we will answer the following query, “can you freeze evaporated milk?” We will discuss the proper ways to store and freeze evaporated milk. We will also discuss the factors responsible for the expiration of evaporated milk.
Can you freeze evaporated milk?
Yes, you can freeze evaporated milk as it will spoil when left out at room temperature.. Its shelf life is less when it is stored outside the refrigerator, and on the other hand, its shelf life increases if you store it in the refrigerator. If you have opened your evaporated milk then you need to instantly refrigerate it as it will spoil after 1-2 days at room temperature.
If your evaporated milk is not opened it can go upto 3 to 4 weeks without getting spoiled in the refrigerator. The shelf life of the milk depends upon its sterilising techniques. If you are freezing it then you can extend its shelf li9fe for upto 6 months.
The evaporated milk is properly sterilised and heated to kill the bacteria. Especially layered and designed cartons are used to store the evaporated milk after the sterilisation process.
Evaporated milk is the unsweetened condensed milk from which 60% of its moisture content is removed. It is used in coffees and smoothies to increase their texture and taste. Evaporated milk is more concentrated and creamier than normal milk.
What are the proper ways to store evaporated milk?
Packaged evaporated milk has its expiration date and it should not be consumed beyond its expiration date.
- You should keep your opened evaporated milk can in the refrigerator. If evaporated milk isn’t refrigerated for too long, bacteria will grow on it, causing it to spoil and perhaps making you sick.
- You can’t leave an opened can of evaporated milk as it will catch the microbes and will spoil.
- Unopened shelf-stable cartons should be kept in a temperature-controlled environment. Avoid regions where it may become too hot, as this may cause the milk to spoil before you open it. Check the package for exact temperature suggestions.
- Maintain a tight seal on the carton. This will prevent bacteria from developing by keeping oxygen out.
How to freeze evaporated milk?
You can freeze a whole can of evaporated milk in the freezer. It is best that you store it in portion sizes so that it is easy for you to defrost it when you need it.
- Take out the evaporated milk from the can and add it to separate containers that are air-tight.
- You can also store it in air-tight plastic bags but make sure to remove all the air from it after adding the evaporated milk to the bag.
- Just defrost it in the microwave when you need to use it.
What are the factors responsible for the spoilage of evaporated milk?
According to the FDA, expiry dates are the dates that are based on the manufacturer’s estimate of when a product is at its finest, not on safety. So following are the factors that are responsible for the expiration or spoilage of evaporated milk.
- The natural fats present in evaporated milk are prone to get rancid over time. This will make evaporated milk unable to drink.
- Unpasteurized evaporated milk can contain food-borne microorganisms which can spoil evaporated milk.
- Heat and increased temperatures can cause the spoilage of evaporated milk.
Sometimes evaporated milk is supplemented with calcium to increase its health benefits. Adding calcium to evaporated milk is very beneficial for your bone and teeth health. Calcium also helps to improve cardiovascular functions. Different brands have different percentages of added calcium in the evaporated milk.
Evaporated milk is good for people who want to gain weight as due to its high fat and calorie content it hel[ps in increasing body weight.
It can be bad for people who are suffering from CVD as it contains a high amount of fats in it. It can also increase the chance of getting type 2 diabetes and heart problems.
What are the uses of evaporated milk?
The uses of evaporated milk are as under:
- Evaporated milk adds a creamy texture to both sweet and savoury dishes.
- Mostly it is used in the preparation of soups, salad dressings and sauces.
- If you want to substitute your normal milk in your coffee and tea then evaporated milk is your best option.
- Evaporated milk is used in desserts. It can also be used in the replacement of cream.
- You can use evaporated milk instead of fresh milk but make sure to use it in half quantity.
In this brief guide, we answered the following query, “can you freeze evaporated milk?” We discussed the proper ways to store and freeze evaporated milk. We also discussed the factors responsible for the expiration of evaporated milk.