This brief guide will address the query, “Can you freeze the deli meat?”. We will discuss the nutrition facts of deli meat along with the proper ways of freezing them. Moreover, we will also discuss the health benefits and risks of eating deli meat.
Can you freeze the deli meat?
Yes, you can freeze deli meat. Deli meats are best stored in the freezer. Freezing them increases the shelf life by upto 2 months while in the fridge they go bad in less than 1 week. The shelf life of cooked deli meat is more as compared to the shelf life of uncooked deli meat.
Deli meats are usually pre-cooked and cured and they do not need cooking. You can eat them with your bread easily.
What is the nutritional value of deli meat?
Deli meats are precooked and cured meats that are in sliced form and they are also available in the form of sausages and meat loaves. Deli meats are also called lunch meat.
There are so many types of deli meats. Every country has its own definition of deli meats. In Commonwealth countries, deli meats normally include minced leftover pieces of beef and pork that are processed to make deli meats.
In America, these deli meats are consumed in large numbers in November. A variety of deli meats are available and eaten in America. Coming to the nutritional value of the deli meat following nutrients are present in the 100 g of deli meat
|Saturated fat||12 g|
What are the proper ways to freeze deli meat?
Deli meats just like any other meat are perishable food items that need proper care and temperature while freezing. If you are freezing your deli meat by following certain steps then forget that it will go bad for 3 months.
- First, let completely cool the cooked deli meat
- Absorb the moisture from the surface of the deli meat with the help of a paper towel
- Put your pieces in the zip lock bag as a whole or cut it into pieces before putting it in the bag.
- Remove the excess air from the bag after putting the cold cut in the bag. This will keep your meat fresh.
- Before putting the pack in the freezer wrap foil around the bag this will prevent freezer burn.\
- If you are freezing the deli meat without cooking it at home then it is fine also as it is also precooked and cured and it goes well in the freezer.
Does eating deli meat provide any health benefits?
- It is an excellent source of vitamin B 12 which is important for the normal regulation of the nervous system. Iron is present in deli meat which is a very important mineral as its major function is in the formation of red blood cells.
- Deli meat is a rich source of protein. 100 g of deli meat gives you 13 g of protein. Protein helps in the growth of tissues and organs.
- Deficiency in vitamin B12 has also been connected to mental health issues such as depression and suicide ideation. The decreased levels of vitamin B12 can cause anaemia in the body.
- The deli meat is a good source of many important minerals like potassium, and zinc, and these minerals help as a substrate in the energy production process, and zinc present in it acts as an antibacterial.
- Choline is a vitamin-like compound that helps in improving the brain function of the child. Choline is water soluble and is present in meat and meat products.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen deli meat?
Deli meat is processed meat and it contains a lot of sodium in them. 100 g of deli meat contains 1293 mg of sodium in it which is high. This high amount of sodium contributes to the elevation of blood pressure and it also increases the risk of other chronic heart diseases.
Frozen deli meat can be contaminated with food pathogens like listeria which can cause food poisoning.
The high sodium content in deli meat can cause fluid retention in the body. High sodium content increases the blood amount in the blood vessels and this causes high blood pressure.
Processed lunch meats contain nitrates and nitrates that are used in their preservation. These compounds increase the risk of cancer.
This brief guide addressed the query, “Can you freeze deli meat?”. We discussed the nutrition facts of deli meat along with the proper ways of freezing them. Moreover, we also discussed the health benefits and risks of eating deli meat..