In the following text we will be discussing the following question, “can you freeze cooked ham?” We will also know the nutritional value and health benefits of eating ham. We will discuss the proper ways to store ham. We will also get to know if there are any health concerns about eating cooked and frozen ham.
Can you freeze deli ham?
Yes, deli ham can be stored in the freezer in cooked and raw form. Ham is a popular cold cut of pork that is a part of every festive and holiday dinner. You can increase the shelf life of ham for upto 3 months by freezing it.
Refrigerated deli ham has a shelf life of only 1 week. If you want to store it for a longer duration you have to freeze it. The shelf life of deli ham is more as compared to the shelf life of uncooked deli ham.
What is ham?
Ham is made from pork and it is a cured form of pork that is usually obtained from the leg part. There are two proper ways of making ham: one is salting and the other one is bringing. It is made in the following three ways.
- Dry curing which is also known as the salting method starts with washing and removing all of the blood from the meat after this the required herbs and salt is added to it. In the end, the ham is hung in a particular environment where it is cured for 6 to 24 months.
- Wet curing is also termed as bringing in this method instead of hanging the ham the meat is dipped in the brine water which contains salts and other spices for almost 2 weeks
- Smoking ham is also very common and liked by people. To make a smoked ham the pork meat is subjected to smoke and flavours in it in a closed space.
What is the nutritional value of deli ham?
Deli ham is meat that is high in certain vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. The nutritional contents in 100 g of ham are as follows.
What are the proper ways to freeze deli ham?
Ham just like any other meat is a perishable food item that needs proper care and temperature while freezing. If you are freezing your ham by following certain steps then forget that it will go bad for 3 months.
Cooked ham can be frozen with bone or without bone.
- First, let the cooked ham cool completely.
- Absorb the moisture from the surface of the ham with the help of a paper towel
- Put your ham in the zip lock bag as a whole or cut it into pieces before putting it in the bag.
- Remove the excess air from the bag after putting the ham in the bag. This will keep your meat fresh.
- Before putting the pack in the freezer wrap foil around the bag this will prevent freezer burn.
Does eating deli ham provide any health benefits?
Deli ham can provide several health benefits, which are given below:
- It is an excellent source of vitamin B 12 which is important for the normal regulation of the nervous system. Iron is present in ham which is a very important mineral as its major function is in the formation of red blood cells.
- Ham is a rich source of protein. 100 g of ham gives you 21 g of protein. Protein helps in the growth of tissues and organs.
- Deficiency in vitamin B12 has also been connected to mental health issues such as depression and suicide ideation. The decreased levels of vitamin B12 can cause anaemia in the body.
- This cured ham is a good source of many important minerals like potassium, and zinc, and these minerals help as a substrate in the energy production process, and zinc present in it acts as an antibacterial.
- Choline is a vitamin-like compound that helps in improving the brain function of the child. Choline is water soluble and is present in meat and meat products.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen deli ham?
Ham is processed meat and it contains a lot of sodium in it. 100 g of ham contains 1203 mg of sodium in it which is high. This high amount of sodium contributes to the elevation of blood pressure and it also increases the risk of other chronic heart diseases.
Frozen ham can be contaminated with food pathogens like listeria which can cause food poisoning.
In the above text we discussed the question, “can you freeze cooked ham?” We also got to know the nutritional value and health benefits of eating ham. We discussed the proper ways to store ham. We also got to know if there are any health concerns about eating cooked and frozen ham.