In this brief guide we will discuss the following question.” can you freeze cooked noodles? We will discuss the health benefits of eating noodles and the proper ways to freeze your cooked noodles. We will also get to know the harmful effects of eating cooked frozen noodles.
Can you freeze cooked noodles?
Yes, you can freeze cooked noodles Cooked noodles are perishable items that need to be stored in the fridge or freezer. The shelf life of cooked noodles in the fridge is upto 3-4 days. While if you store them in the freezer their shelf life extends upto 2 months.
You can not freeze raw noodles or pasta in the freezer as their shelf life is already 2 years and they do not go bad while sitting in the pantry.
Do noodles provide any health benefits?
Noodles do not contain many nutrients as they are considered junk food. 100 g of noodles contain the following nutrients
Instant noodles are unhealthier and they have double the number of calories and sodium content as compared to normal noodles. Higher sodium content is due to the spices present along with the instant noodles.
A 43 g of instant noodles contains 385 kcal and 986 mg of sodium content. Which is very high and can cause a rise in blood pressure.
We have too many types of noodles in the market. Some common types are listed following
- Rice noodles
- Whole wheat noodles
- Processed refined starch noodles
Rice noodles and whole wheat noodles are better to eat as they contain amounts of vitamins and minerals as compared to instant noodles.
What is the healthier way to eat noodles?
Noodles can be made healthy by adding nutritious ingredients in them like vegetables, meat, and eggs. These ingredients will add several vitamins and minerals to the noodles and the whole dish will be nutritious. It will be better than eating plain noodles.
According to the experts, it is best to keep noodle consumption during pregnancy minimum due to their low nutritional value.
What is the proper way to freeze cooked noodles?
You can store home-cooked and restaurant-bought noodles in the freezer. To freeze the noodles you will have to follow certain guidelines.
- Always check the expiry date of noodles before buying them.
- If you are cooking them just for storage purposes then the cooking method will be a little bit different.
- Take a large pot and boil water in it, add salt and 1-2 tbsp of oil to it.
- Add noodles to the water once it starts boiling.
- Give 4-5 minutes or until the noodle is completely done.
- Do not overcook them as the freezing process also makes them soft and if they are already overcooked they will break and become mushy.
- Let them completely cool under the cold water. This will avoid the noodles sticking to each other.
- After they are completely cooled down, transfer them to an air-tight container.
- Store them in the freezer where the temperature remains stable.
- Store your pasta sauce separately because when it is mixed with the noodles its texture and taste change.
- When you are ready to eat just reheat both things separately and enjoy them.
You can also store leftover noodles for this you simply need them to store in air-tight boxes and put them in the freezer.
Do noodles provide any health benefits?
If eaten in moderation noodles will not bring any harm to your health.
Low in fat
If you are looking for a low-fat option to eat then noodles are a good option as long as they are not instant noodles because they are rich in fats. Go for homemade options, make pasta or noodles at your home, or buy the one without added preservatives to avoid the harmful preservatives.
Supplemented with folic acid
Enriched noodles contain folic acid, which helps in the prevention of anaemia. If you are taking a serving of pasta or noodles then it will provide 25 % of the daily folic acid requirement
What are the harmful effects of eating frozen noodles?
Instant noodles are high in sodium which can cause hypertension and this can cause serious problems at later ages. Especially a hypertensive person needs to be extra cautious about his sodium intake.
Noodles contain higher levels of refined carbs and almost no fibres in them. The glycemic index of noodles is above 50 which means it is not good for daily intake and it will increase the blood glucose levels.
Frozen noodles can be contaminated with food-borne pathogens that can cause food poisoning.
In this brief guide we discussed the following question.” Can you freeze cooked noodles? We discussed the health benefits of eating noodles and the proper ways to freeze your cooked noodles. We also got to know the harmful effects of eating cooked frozen noodles.