In this brief guide we will discuss the following query, “can you freeze boiled eggs?” We will also discuss the health benefits of eating eggs, Along with the proper ways to freeze boiled eggs. We will also get to know the health risks of eating frozen eggs.
Can you freeze boiled eggs?
Yes, boiled eggs can be frozen. Eggs are a highly nutritious food. Eggs are eaten in many forms all over the world. You can freeze boiled eggs but it will change the texture of the eggs. Due to this factor, eggs will be unpleasant to eat.
If you are concerned about getting sick upon eating the frozen eggs then you should not consume them. If the eggs change their texture and taste they will not be edible. Furthermore, you should also check if they have changed in appearance and texture then you should not consume them.
What is the preferred method to freeze boiled eggs?
Hard-boiled eggs can be frozen in the freezer for upto 12 months. Freezing the boiled eggs will make the egg white rubbery and to avoid this you can only freeze the hard-boiled egg yolk. Put the egg yolk in the air-tight container and you can freeze them for upto 1 year.
While using them, defrost them in the refrigerator to avoid them from drying.
What nutrients do we get from the eggs?
Eggs are the food items that are laid by many birds but commonly chicken eggs are used in every household. Eggs are a rich source of many nutrients including fat-soluble vitamins. Eggs are a rich source of fats and protein.
The downside of eating eggs is they have high levels of cholesterol in their yolk which is not good for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
1 large (50g) of raw egg contains 186 mg of cholesterol which is 60% of your nutritional requirement. It means if you are eating 2 whole eggs in a day you are putting your heart health at risk.
The egg is low in carbohydrates and it is high in proteins. 1 large 50 g egg contains 6 g of protein in it. It is also a good source of nutrients like vitamin B6, cobalamin, choline, vitamin D, and vitamin A.
The shelf life of the frozen eggs depends on the quality of the eggs. Buying the right eggs is the key. The following steps should be considered while buying and freezing eggs.
- Eggs should always be bought from a trusted grocery store. Don’t buy the eggs that are present on the shield and not stored in the temperature-controlled environment.
- Always buy eggs that are properly packaged and check if they have cracks. Do not buy them. Due to the cracks, the eggs can be contaminated.
- Look for the expiry and sell-by date on the eggs before buying them, if they are past their sell-by date do not risk bringing them home.
After bringing your eggs home, wash them properly with clean running water to clean all the dirt from them. Store them in the refrigerator for use.
FDA gives us the following tips and standard guidelines to store your eggs.
- You should always store your eggs at 4 degrees centigrade or below in the refrigerator.
- Storing your eggs in the refrigerator door is not an ideal place. Due to the temperature fluctuation, eggs go bad easily.
- Put your eggs in the airtight container or in the egg carton to store them in the refrigerator.
- The eggs that are kept in the refrigerator must be used within 21 days.
- Handle your eggs with care as they can get contaminated by salmonella and this can cause food poisoning.
What are the harms of eating frozen eggs?
First of all, the temperature is the biggest factor, the heat, and temperature above 4 degrees centigrades will spoil your eggs and make them go bad. Normally eggs do not go bad at freezing temperature and they can go for upto 12 months.
Eating contaminated frozen eggs can cause food poisoning which is from the presence of salmonella in it. Salmonella upon ingestion can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, flu, fever, and abdominal pain.
How to determine that your eggs are fresh?
The best way is to see the sell-by date if it is not present and you have brought your eggs at home then you can use the following tips.
- If your egg floats in the water then it means it is fresh. Fresh eggs do not float; they sink in the water.
- The consistency of the fresh eggs is thick and the old egg has a watery consistency.
- The egg white must be cloudy not clear as it is a sign that your egg is fresh.
In this brief guide we discussed the following query, “can you freeze boiled eggs?” We also discussed the health benefits of eating eggs, Along with the proper ways to freeze boiled eggs. We also got to know the health risks of eating frozen eggs.