In this brief guide, we will be answering the following question, “can you freeze biscuits?” We will discuss the proper ways to freeze biscuits. We will also discuss the health concerns of using frozen biscuits.
Can you freeze biscuits?
Yes, you can freeze and store biscuits in the freezer. The cooked and uncooked dough of biscuits both can be stored in the freezer. You can get fresh homemade biscuits every time if you have frozen biscuits or biscuits dough in your freezer.
What are the proper ways to prepare and store biscuits?
Freshly baked biscuits can only last longer in the kitchen for upto 2 days. But the freezing will increase the shelf life of biscuits for upto 2 months.
Biscuits are likely to catch moisture and get soggy if they are not kept in the refrigerator. Biscuits should always be stored in a dry and shady place.
You can also add a food cover or aluminium foil to the biscuits to prevent them from drying out. If you see any kind of mould or off smell from your biscuits then you need to discard them as they are unable to eat.
Store your prepared biscuits in an airtight container. For storing them in the freezer, you need to follow certain steps.
- You can store biscuit and biscuit dough both in the freezer. For this, you need to handle them with clean hands and put them in the air-tight box to avoid any moisture from getting in.
- Store them below the 0-degree centigrade temperature to avoid any deterioration and microbial growth.
How are biscuits prepared?
We need the following ingredients to prepare the biscuits
- Whole purpose flour
- Baking soda
Preparation and storage of biscuits
- Add cold butter to the bowl and add flour slowly in the bowl while mixing them together. Mix them well until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the required quantity of milk to it and mix well.
- Add salt, sugar, and baking soda and mix it.
- Now flatten the dough on the board and cut the dough with the help of a cookie cutter.
- Keep the cookie dough in the air-tight container and separate them from each other with the help of baking sheets.
- You can also bake these cookies and then put them in air-tight ziplock bags and then freeze them.
- Just put them out of the freezer when you want to eat them and heat them in the oven and they are perfectly fresh to eat.
How to make your biscuits healthy?
Normal biscuits contain sugars and all-purpose flour in them which makes them unhealthy and their glycemic index is high due to the presence of sugars and absence of fibres in the flour. This causes an increase in blood sugar levels.
Following are some recipes to make healthy biscuits
As the name indicates these cookies are safe for celiac disease patients. These people can enjoy these gluten-free cookies.
To prepare these cookies
- Add melted butter and sugar to a bowl and mix them together.
- Add vanilla essence and eggs to the bowl and mix them well to make it light and airy.
- Add almond flour to a separate bowl and also add baking soda to it.
- Now combine your mixtures and mix them well add chocolate chips in them if you like.
- Preheat the oven and bake the cookies until they are golden brown.
- Enjoy these healthy and gluten-free cookies.
Oats are healthier than flour as they are whole wheat and they contain a good amount of vitamins, minerals, and fibres. Oats help in controlling blood cholesterol and lowering LDL levels.
- Add oats, flour, salt, and baking soda to the bowl and mix them together.
- Beat the separate mixture by adding sugar, butter, and eggs in the bowl until they are fluffy.
- Now add both of the mixtures and mix them well.
- Scoop out the cookie-sized dough from the batter and put it on the baking paper. Bake them in the freezer or you can store the dough in the freezer for further use.
For further healthy recipes for biscuits go here.
What are the health concerns of eating frozen biscuits?
Frozen biscuits can be contaminated with certain food pathogens like E-coli and salmonella. They can make you sick if the cookies are not heated properly.
The high amount of sugars and other food preservatives in store-bought biscuits are responsible for weight gain and an increase in blood glucose levels along with other health risks like cancer.
In this brief guide, we answered the following question, “can you freeze biscuits?” We discussed the proper ways to freeze biscuits. We also discussed the health concerns of using frozen biscuits.