In this brief guide, we will address the query, “Can you eat too many oranges?”. We will discuss the nutrition facts of oranges. Moreover, we will also discuss the health benefits and health risks of eating oranges.
Can you eat too many oranges?
No, you can’t eat too many oranges. Eating too many oranges can be harmful. It can become the reason for many health risks such as bloating, stomach pain, and heartburn.
What are the health risks of eating too many oranges?
- It has low contents of beta carotene. Due to this, you can face problems in the digestive system.
- Oranges contain high amounts of fiber. Too much fiber can cause health risks.
- When you are eating too many oranges, it can cause bloating, pain in the stomach and abdomen, diarrhea, and problems in the digestive system. Deficiencies of nutrients occur due to these problems.
- If you are facing the problem of heartburn or GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), then you should strictly avoid consuming too many oranges
- Oranges contain high contents of vitamin C. Digestive stress, cramping, nausea, and diarrhea can occur due to the excess amount of this nutrient.
- High amounts of potassium are present in oranges. This high amount is not safe for people who are taking beta-blockers. Potassium counteracts the beta blockers and it reduces its effectivity
- Too much acidity is present in oranges. This acidity can become the reason for irritation in the lining of the stomach. Due to this, many digestive problems can occur.
- Eating too many oranges can be dangerous for pregnant women. They can face the problems of cramps in the abdomen and diarrhea.
- Many nutrients and phytochemicals are present in oranges.
What is the nutritional value of oranges?
Oranges are very nutritious and are packed with nutrients. But eating too many oranges can cause health risks.
- Calories: 66 g
- Water: 86%
- Protein: 1.3 g
- Carbs: 14.8 g
- Sugar: 12 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Vitamin C: 92 % of DV
- Folate: 9 % of DV
- Calcium: 5 % of DV
- Potassium: 5 % of DV
- Vitamin A: 2 % of DV
- Vitamin E: 2 % of DV
There are also some fruits which you should not eat in excess.
What are the health benefits of oranges?
Following are the health benefits of oranges.
- Vitamin C is present in oranges. The immune system becomes strong due to the presence of vitamin C. Risk of many types of cancers can be reduced due to vitamin C.
- Orange also contains electrolytes. pH levels and fluid balance are maintained by the presence of electrolytes. Athletes like to eat oranges because chemicals are not present in them.
- Orange contains potassium. It keeps our kidneys healthy. Heart rate is regulated, and the presence of potassium helps to do proper functions of the nervous system.
- Oranges contain many antioxidants. Cells are protected from oxidative stress by antioxidants. These antioxidants fight against inflammation. Anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties are present in antioxidants.
- It has high contents of flavonoids. The presence of flavonoids becomes the reason for the bitterness of the peel of oranges. Flavonoids help in protecting brain health. Protection is done against neurodegenerative disorders by flavonoids.
- Large amounts of vitamins, minerals, and dietary fibers are present in them.
- You can lose weight by eating whole oranges. If you want to lose weight, and you are determined about it then you should eat one or two oranges a day.
- Oranges can give health benefits to pregnant women. They provide folic acid, potassium, calcium, and vitamin C. But they should not eat more than 2 oranges in a day. It is safe to eat one or 2 oranges a day during pregnancy.
How many oranges can you eat in a day?
You can eat 3 to 4 oranges in a day. It is not safe to eat more than 2 oranges if you have a low metabolic rate.
High contents of vitamin C are present in orange. Approximately 140 grams of vitamin C are present in a medium orange.
You can fulfill the need for vitamin C by eating 2 oranges in a day. If there is too much amount of vitamin C in your diet, then this excess amount can be dangerous for you.
Oranges also contain vitamin C and vitamin D. Blood cholesterol levels can be reduced by the presence of these two vitamins.
People who face the problems of high blood pressure, high blood lipids, cardiovascular, and cerebrovascular, should regularly consume oranges.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query,” Can you eat too many oranges?”. We have discussed the nutrition facts of oranges. Moreover, we have also discussed the health benefits and health risks of eating oranges.