In this article, we will answer the question “Can you eat the leaves of strawberries?”, and how to use strawberry tops?
Can you eat the leaves of strawberries?
Yes, strawberry leaves can be eaten. You do not need to dump the strawberry tops anymore. There are surprising ways to use them up in delicious ways. Strawberry leaves can be prepared in the following ways to reap their benefits.
- Toss the strawberry leaves in your salsa or salad bowls
- It can be used to make Italian desserts with whipped ricotta cheese
- Add them in soup
- Toss the strawberry tops with lettuce, avocado, bean sprouts, cooked prawns, and lime juice dressing and serve as a main dish.
Read on If you want to know what are the health benefits of eating strawberry leaves.
Health benefits of strawberry leaves
- Strawberry leaves are rich in anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory substances. These leaves have been found to possess anti-microbial properties as well.
- Other than that, strawberry leaves are considered to be very effective to relieve arthritis pain. They contain a diuretic compound called caffeic acid, which reduces water tension and inflammation from the joints.
- Strawberry leaves are rich in tannins that have a low ph and help in improving digestive health by relieving stomach cramps and bloating.
- Strawberry leaves are also rich in Vitamin C, Iron, and calcium.
How to use strawberry tops?
Toss the strawberry tops or leaves into the water. Let it sit for at least an hour. Sip on this strawberry leaves infused water to enjoy a spa-like experience at home.
Instead of using the regular vinegar. Jazz it up by infusing it with strawberry tops. You can use any type of vinegar including white wine, red wine, and balsamic vinegar. Immerse the strawberry tops in the vinegar and let sit for at least an hour before drizzling it over your salads and adding it in sauces or dressings.
Submerge the strawberry tops in your preferred type of booze. Spirits like vodka, rum, or gin work best. Let it sit like this for at least 2 days. After two days, enjoy the strawberry-scented booze by adding it to cocktails. Strawberry-infused booze can be used to make, Strawberry Gin Smash, Strawberry Mojito Pitcher, Rhubarb Basil Cocktail, Kiwi Vodka Tonic, etc.
Strawberry tops can be used to add a rich and unique strawberry scent to kombucha.
Blend into a smoothie
Skip trimming the tops, toss in whole strawberries in the blender instead. This works especially well If you have added kale and spinach t your smoothie. Strawberry tops serve as an extra kick of greens.
How to know If strawberries are bad?
- The presence of mold is a clear indication of spoilage.
- Strawberries that are too mushy and deeply bruised should be discarded.
- If the strawberries are losing their bright red color, firmness, and giving off a funny smell, they have gone bad and should be discarded.
How to store strawberries?
- If the strawberries are to be consumed within the same or few hours, they can be left on the countertop.
- If they will be used the next day or need to be stored for a couple of more days, refrigeration is a good option.
- Put the strawberries in an air-tight container and put them in the crisper drawer of your fridge.
Remove the moldy strawberries
Remove the moldy strawberries from the bulk. Repeat this exercise every day to keep the strawberries around for longer. Removing the spoiled berries will prevent the bacteria or mold from spreading to the rest of the berries.
Leave the berries as-is
Do not wash the berries beforehand If they are not to be consumed within the same day. You don’t have to remove the stem as well. Just keep them as-is.
Make sure the strawberries don’t get crushed
Do not place any other vegetable or fruit that weighs down on the bag in which the strawberries are stored.
How to freeze strawberries?
Prepare the fruit
Wash the strawberries and pat dry using a paper towel. Remove the stems and slice or cut them or leave them whole If you want.
Spread the strawberries evenly on a baking tray in a single layer. Do not stack them on top of another. The strawberries should not touch each other. Let them freeze overnight.
Pack and freeze
Transfer the frozen strawberries into a freezer bag or air-tight container and put them in the fridge. Squeeze out the air from the freezer bag, label it and chuck it into the freezer.
In this article, we answered the question “Can you eat the leaves of strawberries?”, and how to use strawberry tops?